The IRS hopes to lure prospective employees into areas of tax return audit, tax collection, and tax law explanation. Starting salaries are somewhat lower than those being offered entry-level accountants. In the San Francisco Bay Area, for example, new IRS agents will be hired in the $26,000 to $39,000 range, while entry-level accountants are reportedly earning a median salary of $43,000.
Attractive benefits of working for the IRS include:
- Job security ("We're never laid off," said IRS recruiter, Paula Schnur)
- Annual raises in the $6,000 to $7,000 range for the first two years
- Flexible work hours
- Health and life insurance
- Matching 401(k) plan
- Reimbursement plan for commuting via public transportation
- Assistance with repayment of student debt
- 40-hour work week
Contact your local IRS office for additional information.