AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide - Issue 35
February 4 â February 8, 2002
This Resource Guide Brought to You By
RESOURCES FOR ACCOUNTINGWEB MEMBERS
- Top 10 Technology Predictions For CPAs For 2002
- Survey Shows - Immense Support for Auditing Reform
- Beware - Computer Bug on The Loose!
- CCH's Annual Review of the Strangest Court Cases
- Retirement Plan Amendments Due By February 28
- 2002 Trends in Human Resources
- President Bush Signs Victims of Terrorism Bill
- EFTPS-Online: Pay Your Taxes Over The Internet
- Its Official: Tuesday is the Most Productive Day of the Week
- Watch Out For These Twelve Biggest Tax Scams!
- From The Archives: Giving and Receiving Performance Evaluations
- Book Recommendation: "Good Enough" Isn't Enough: Nine Challenges For Companies That Choose To Be Great, by Alan Weiss
"The truth is more important than the facts." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
TOP ACCOUNTING NEWS
Visit the AccountingWEB home page for the latest news and happenings around the profession. Just go to: https://www.accountingweb.com
RESOURCES FOR ACCOUNTINGWEB MEMBERS
1. Top 10 Technology Predictions For CPAs For 2002
This past week, InfoTech Partners North America, Inc. had the opportunity to present its 2002 Technology Predictions at Management Summit to over 100 of the leading CPA firms and Associations in the country. See what they predict for 2002.
2. Survey Shows - Immense Support for Auditing Reform
A survey of Canadian business executives shows immense support for auditing reforms. Find out what reforms scored highest on their list.
National Payment Corporation
Web Direct Deposit
FREE Personalized Pricing & Timing Guide
Web Direct Deposit has everything you need to offer Direct Deposit via the Internet. You can maintain employee information and safely send your Direct Deposit data over the Internet using only your favorite Web browser, including Netscape and Internet Explorer. Best of all, Web Direct Deposit doesn't require any technical expertise. If you have access to the Internet then you have everything you need. Visit us today and get a FREE Personalized Pricing and Timing Guide!
3. Beware - Computer Bug on The Loose!
An e-mail attachment that poses as a Web link but is actually a mass-mailing that spread slowly over this past weekend, but has managed to infect systems in more than 50 countries.
4. CCH's Annual Review of the Strangest Court Cases
Although tax law is not regarded as exciting by most, every so often the creative interpretation of the rules by taxpayers can make even a mundane tax case most interesting. 2001 was no exception, as taxpayers who were called to court tried to justify how they creatively applied the complex rules of federal tax law.
5. Reminder: Retirement Plan Amendments Due By February 28
The IRS has issued a reminder to employers and retirement plan administrators that they must amend their employees' retirement plans to comply with the changes made by the "GUST" laws by the February 28, 2002, deadline.
NEWS NEWS NEWS
Visit the AccountingWEB PressZONE for the latest news, software updates and more from companies around the US. Visit the PressZONE at https://www.accountingweb.com/presszone/index.html
6. 2002 Trends in Human Resources
In the midst of an ongoing recession, companies will need more than ever to pay close attention to the bottom line. As a large portion of any company's expenses is related to personnel, HR departments will be asked to play a more strategic and prominent role in company decisions.
7. President Bush Signs Victims of Terrorism Bill
Last week, President Bush signed the Victims of Terrorism Tax Relief Act of 2001 (H.R.2884), which provides tax relief to families of people killed in the terrorist attacks of September 11, the anthrax mailings that occurred after September 11, and the Oklahoma City bombing.
ACCOUNTINGWEB MEMBERS SAVE $150 TODAY
Up Your Cash Flow has always been in the business of helping professional accountants and consultants expand their practices and develop new sources of revenue. The software creates budgets, forecasts and projections that accountants can use to provide added-value services to their clients; services like internal cash flow management, securing loans and lines of credit or making comprehensive company budgets. Check us out today! AccountingWEB Members save $150 off the price of the software.
8. EFTPS-Online: Pay Your Taxes Over The Internet
If you're going to owe taxes when you file your federal tax return, consider paying over the Internet through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS).
9. It's Official: Tuesday is the Most Productive Day of the Week
What's the best way to get something done quickly? Ask someone to do it on Tuesday. Nearly half (48 percent) of executive's surveyed recently said employees hit peak performance on Tuesdays. https://www.accountingweb.com/item/70464
10. Watch Out For These Twelve Biggest Tax Scams!
The Internal Revenue Service issued a nationwide alert to taxpayers warning them not to fall victim to one of the "Dirty Dozen" tax scams. These schemes take several shapes, ranging from false claims of slavery reparations to illegal ways of âuntaxingâ yourself.
11. From the Archives: Giving and Receiving Performance Evaluations - CPAs
Performance evaluations can be stressful and confrontational, but they need not be. A successful performance evaluation system benefits both employer and employee.
12. Book Recommendation "Good Enough" Isn't Enough: Nine Challenges For Companies That Choose To Be Great, by Alan Weiss
Mediocrity. It's the comfortable curse that a company can live with...but not grow with. And according to business writer, thinker, and consultant Alan Weiss, if mediocrity continues long enough, it can deteriorate into paralysis and business failure.
ACCOUNTINGWEB Q&A FORUM
Visit our Q&A Forum to post your questions and share your ideas with the members of AccountingWEB! Simply click on the "Add Comments" option at the bottom of any question to add your response and comments. https://www.accountingweb.com/help/anyanswers.html
Here are just a few questions that have been posted recently.
1. Are Cafeteria Plans Excluded from Social Security?
2. I have a client who filed a 1993 tax return, the IRS never acknowledged receipt of the return. In lieu, the IRS prepared the return based on the information it received this filing led to the client having a liability. I understand the next option is that of an appeal to the District director. Has anyone advice on how to proceed?
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
We would like to thank National Payment Corporation https://www.accountingweb.com/members/npc/resources.html
and Up Your Cash Flow Software https://www.accountingweb.com/members/uycf/index.html for making this AccountingWEB Resource Guide possible.
You've received this Resource Guide free of charge from AccountingWEB. We would like to thank our sponsors. Their ongoing support keeps this service free to the AccountingWEB membership. Visit them and show your support!
Update your membership information by visiting the Profile Page and selecting the "My Services" tab.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."