Some say that power napping is the key to success. More and more businesses are recognizing the tremendous payback to their employees when time is allowed for "Power Napping". You too can run and run like the Energizer Bunny!
If you want to be able to go and go and get the job done.... you really need to stop and rest. Busy people often find that taking twenty minutes to a half-hour rest during a busy day will provide them with three or more productive hours to accomplish their goals and objectives. Take off for a 20-minute nap. Set a timer so you can relax without worry. You'll be amazed!
Interestingly, busy people who schedule time to relax tend to experience enhanced clarity, memory and inner calm, and express greater pleasure in their jobs.
If you can’t get away for twenty minutes here are some tips to help you make the best of your hectic day(s)!
- Turn off the phone and hang "Do Not Disturb" on your door for a few minutes, then...
- Close your eyes...allow them to settle on a far-off horizon...
- Inhale deep into the belly, exhale through the shoulders...noticing the movement as you do this....
- Visualize yourself exactly where you would like to be today. Hawaii? A mountain cabin?
- Take one small break (2-3 minutes) per hour in your workday to do the above excersie.
- Commit yourself to doing a minimum of one fun thing every single day, without exception.
- Practice slow, mindful breathing while waiting at a red light, or while waiting for the next pile of files to appear. This can help you rediscover simple pleasures amid those demanding situations.Here's a tip to help a co-worker relax too!
- Set a timer for one minute. Person #1 now gets to WHINE-about as MANY issues as you can fit in a minute! Whine fast! Use your hands, shoulders, exaggerated facial expressions, complain. Okay, now whine a little louder...faster... Really get into it! Switch places. Chances are, if you whine fast enough.... you'll probably both end up laughing-the best stress-buster of all!
- Do something nice for someone else, just 'because'
If all else fails, try some Desk Top Yoga!
If you know of any tips for day to day stress relief, please let us know.