The deadline is approaching for CPA candidates who are planning on submitting an application for the Becker Professional Education second annual Newton D. Becker Scholarship Program.
Scholarship applications can be submitted through February 5, 2014. Recipients will be notified on March 3.
The program will award more than $200,000 in financial assistance, including twenty full, four-part CPA Exam Review scholarships, each valued at $3,360, and additional scholarships valued at $1,680.
The scholarship program was named after Newton D. Becker, who founded the CPA Becker Review in 1957 as a fresh approach to prepare students for the CPA Exam and help them fulfill their accounting career goals. Becker passed away in 2012.
“The scholarship program allows us to carry on Newton’s legacy by helping bright, dedicated individuals succeed in their pursuit of the gold standard in the profession – the CPA credential,” Becker Professional Education President John Roselli said in a written statement.
To be considered for a scholarship, CPA candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be an accounting professional or student not currently enrolled in Becker’s CPA Exam Review at time of scholarship notification.
- Meet the requirements to sit for the CPA Exam at the time of enrollment in Becker’s CPA Exam Review.
- Demonstrate a financial need in preparing for the CPA Exam through a personal statement.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from an employer/manager, professor, community leader, or clergy member along with your application.
- Demonstrate through a personal statement the traits important to Newton Becker: high moral character, strong leadership qualities, and a commitment to community service.
- Be a US resident.
Becker Professional Education noted because this is a needs-based scholarship, it is not valid for applicants who are employed by or have accepted a position at a firm or corporation that reimburses for the CPA Exam Review. Also, selected recipients must enroll in Becker’s CPA Exam Review by June 30, 2014. The scholarship is nontransferable.
For more information, visit the Newton D. Becker Scholarship Program page on the Becker Professional Education website or call 877-CPA-EXAM.
About Jason Bramwell
Jason Bramwell is a staff writer and editor for AccountingWEB. He has nearly 20 years of experience in print and online media as a journalist and editor.