As the year draws to a close and you prepare for the tax busy season, here is a little personal story that might be worth contemplating.
I ballooned up to 202 pounds in July 1993 and couldn't stand it. I had been about 182 for most of my adult life and felt comfortable at that weight. As a professional speaker, flying across the country speaking to groups, I felt that it was important for me to "walk my talk," every minute of the day.
To optimally influence others, I decided to embody the message that I was verbally disseminating. If people were to believe me, that they could in fact win back their time, I needed to show up in the present as someone who looked like he had won his time back.
Here are reinforcement techniques:
- Seek others with goals similar to yours.
- Post reinforcing statements and reminders in view.
- Record affirming statements on audio.
- Determine any cash outlays in advance.
- Take bite-size action steps.
- Have someone waiting to hear of your progress.
- Envision yourself succeeding.
About Jeff Davidson
Jeff Davidson, a.k.a. “The Work-life Balance Expert”®, speaks to accounting firms and associations on increasing their work-life balance so they can be more productive and competitive, and still have a happy home life. He is the author of Breathing Space, Simpler Living, and Dial it Down, Live it Up. Visit breathingspace.com.