ITIN Renewal Fees: What is the IRS Thinking?

Share this content


IR 2019-118 takes a page out of the requirement for tax professionals to obtain a Personal Tax Identification Number (PTIN). I remember getting mine when they were first offered back in 1999. However, when the IRS decided they were going to license tax professionals, they began charging for PTINs. After the Loving case and subsequent lawsuit to end this practice, the agency is again allowed to do this. Wrap your head around this one: IR 2019-118 addresses the need to renew an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), which is for those taxpayers with no SSN but a US tax filing obligation.

Let’s say I live in Canada, and I have a two vacation rentals in the US. The incentive for me to file an American tax return would be that 30 percent of any funds I took from the rentals and transferred to Canada would be withheld for US taxes. As a Canadian citizen, I have to pay tax on worldwide income, just like a US citizen.  In the US, I need to file a 1040-NR to reconcile my income and expenses to the money I received and the taxes withheld. I receive a Foreign Tax Credit for any monies I paid in Canada; however, they do not outweigh the taxes in the US.  Effectively, I have paid tax twice on the same money. 

In light of this, I have to ask: Why would anyone renew an ITIN?

Presumably, if an ITIN isn’t renewed, the identity that was associated with it is wiped out, and the number can be used again. It isn’t as if the IRS is forcing a taxpayer to renew anything. In fact, there was a relatively large exodus of expats giving up their US citizenship a few years ago because of the oppressive tax regime. And if I was a foreigner that was in the situation as my extreme example, why would I care about renewing my ITIN when I don’t want to pay the additional taxes anyway? I'd like to note I don't get the same choice with the PTIN if I want to continue preparing tax returns.

In fact, the only time that I can see where it would be beneficial to renew an ITIN would be for a dependent born on a US military base overseas. Contrary to popular belief, these aren't American soil, so a child born during a soldier's deployment can only become a citizen through naturalization. In order to be claimed as a dependent, the child would need an ITIN.

So if the IRS wants to try to charge people to renew their ITINs, good luck. I'd like to see how that plan works out.

Related Articles

How the PTIN Issue at the IRS Affects Tax Professionals

Has the IRS Ruled on When Life Begins?

About Craig W. Smalley, EA

Craig Smalley

Craig W. Smalley, MST, EA, has been in practice since 1994. He has been admitted to practice before the IRS as an enrolled agent and has a master's in taxation. He is well-versed in US tax law and US Tax Court cases. He specializes in taxation, entity structuring and restructuring, corporations, partnerships, and individual taxation, as well as representation before the IRS regarding negotiations, audits, and appeals. In his many years of practice, he has been exposed to a variety of businesses and has an excellent knowledge of most industries. He is the CEO and co-founder of CWSEAPA PLLC and Tax Crisis Center LLC; both business have locations in Florida, Delaware, and Nevada. Craig is the current Google small business accounting advisor for the Google Small Business Community. He is a contributor to AccountingWEB and Accounting Today, and has had 12 books published on various topics in taxation. His articles have also been featured in the Chicago Tribune, New York Times, Yahoo Finance, Nasdaq, and several other newspapers, periodicals, and magazines. He has been interviewed and been a featured guest on many radio shows and podcasts. Finally, he is the co-host of Tax Avoidance is Legal, which is a nationally broadcast weekly Internet radio show.

Replies (0)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

There are currently no replies, be the first to post a reply.