During my many years in the business world, I have benefited from schmoozing.
Sometimes the word gets a bad reputation, but it really is a good thing. Here’s the definition:
My thing is I love people and I am truly interested in them and what they are doing, what they want to do and how they are going to do it.
In the current world of social media, I’ve heard so many negative comments along these lines… “We don’t talk to each other anymore.” “We use email as an excuse not to talk on the phone.” – - and so on.
I connected and schmoozed for years, in person and on the phone. However, I have NEVER been more connected with so many people than I am today using Twitter, blogs, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, webinars, go-to-meetings and the list goes on and on.
I hope all of you working in the CPA profession – no matter how many years of experience you have – are taking advantage of the numerous and wonderful connections you can make with social media.
Afraid to tweet? Just set-up an account. You don’t have to make a single tweet. Just follow others for a while and read what they have to say. If you are not going to ever read the tweets of people you select to follow then don’t bother to set-up an account. You have to commit and take action. I always say you have to Do Things if you want to reap the rewards.
- Set-up a Twitter Account
- To start, just select a few people to follow – 5 to 10.
- Every morning – call it your Morning Schmooze – Go to your account and read what was posted the previous day. It should only take a couple minutes.
- As your interest develops, expand the list of people you follow.
- Don’t be afraid to “unfollow” someone. Follow those who tweet things that are actually helpful to you.
- Eventually, try tweeting something yourself.
As CPAs, you have so much information and knowledge that business people will want to read about. When you are comfortable, begin promoting your tweets to your clients.
My twitter handle is: @cpamanagement Look at the top of this page, on the right, you can access my Twitter account there.