How to Reinstall Microsoft Office When You Don't Have a Disc or Download

struggletech
shapecharge/iStock
Tags

From time to time, you may need to reinstall Microsoft Office because you purchased a new computer or you're trying to resolve a program error. Or, in Excel 2010 and later, you may need to move between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. In this article, I'll describe how to download the installation files on demand as well as recover a lost product key for Office.

The instructions that follow are specific to Excel 2007 and later. (I was unable to determine how to download Excel 2003 and earlier from the Microsoft website.) Links are all current as of the date of this article (October 31, 2013), but they are subject to change without notice.

Please Login or Register to read the full article

To access all of the content on our site, register (it's free!) or login to your existing account.

About David Ringstrom, CPA

David Ringstrom

David H. Ringstrom, CPA, is an author and nationally recognized instructor who teaches scores of webinars each year. His Excel courses are based on over 25 years of consulting and teaching experience. His mantra is “Either you work Excel, or it works you.” David offers spreadsheet and database consulting services nationwide.

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Rod
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I had a hard drive issue with my laptop with has now been replaced & I have Windows 7 back (with most of my files) but I didn't get back Office, so no email, word etc etc.
I only have the Windows 7 key which is on my computer, how can I get back up & running with office without a re-purchase??

By Ganesh
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I have product key for my pc, can i use same for my mac, because i don't want for pc.

By Emma
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I have my product key, but when I try and download it won't let me finish the process without signing into a Microsoft Account. I don't have one and don't want one, can I do this without creating an account?

By Nicole
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

JellyBean and the link to re download Office 2007 worked perfectly for me so I could stop turning my house upside down for my disc. Thank you for the great article!

By David Ringstrom
to shaggy1991
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I've searched for software discs far too many times, so I feel your pain on that! I'm happy to hear I could be of assistance. Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience!

By Celeste Tyree
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I really appreciate the details in this article. After 2 days of searching for a valid download location for Office 2010 I found yours and it worked perfect! Thank you!

By David Ringstrom
to ClevelandBryd
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Oh my, that must have been a frustrating 2 days, as there are lots of suspicious locations out there. I'm so glad you ran across my article, and thanks for taking a moment to share your experience!

By Gal
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I'm afraid of getting a virus, after my computer rebooted I lost Microsoft Office and that is the last thing I need. I don't have a product key number? These websites you provided - are they safe?

By David Ringstrom
to FlorenceEliza
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I can appreciate your concern. Yes, the sites I listed can be trusted, and you'll see in the comments that other readers have had a good experience using one or more of the tools that I've mentioned.

By Gevariya Nikunj
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

During MS office 2007 installation some error occur after 70% installation and after failed installation.

Please please please please HELP ME.

How to solve???

By Diana
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

David, Thank you for helping me with obtaining my Microsoft Office product code. I followed your instructions and was able to retrieve the product code from my old computer, and download Microsoft Office onto my new computer! Thank you so much for imparting your knowledge to us people who are not computer literate! I am so happy that I do not have to buy a new Microsoft Office product, when I already paid a high price for the one I had.

By Paola Elizalde
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

help !! I need to reboot my computer due to a virus i purchased microsoft office and i do have my product key but i am not sure if i could re download microsoft with the same product key

By Rich Bunnell
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

You can try this link: https://www.facebook.com/pages.... Here has about office install. Hope can help you.

By mgaw
Oct 7th 2016 14:40

Thank you! This worked like a charm! I had previously purchased a two user license of MS Access 2010 from Amazon. However, I could not re-download it from the software library. I looked every where to try to find a download on the internet. I even contacted Microsoft...they hooked me up with a download that was estimated to take over 2 hours! I stopped it because I noticed it was the 64 bit version and I wanted the 32 bit version.

As I continued to search the web for assistance, I came across your article. I was presently surprised when I typed in my license key and the system came back and told me I was eligible to download MS Access 2010.

Thank you!!!

By Gentin
Mar 15th 2017 08:46

http://www.vanskeys.com you can get more of a product key online, a professional online retailer that specializes in providing a range of.100% authentic guaranteed.

By pfmvQa
Jun 12th 2017 05:24

This sentence, "However, do be aware that you can only install 64-bit Office on a computer that has a 64-bit version of Windows." I think what you means is "However, do be aware that you can only install 32-bit Office on a computer that has a 32-bit version of Windows."

Jun 14th 2017 08:28

Guys who want to download permanent office 2007 product key can go to google to search "saveekey", I just got one from this, works like a charm!

By Lydisy
Jul 31st 2017 17:39

What I dislike about 365 is having to log into my Microsoft email account in order to sign in. I have used gmail since 2005 and have all my records there and never use Microsoft email account unless I want to go incognito and not clutter up my regular email! I am glad that I don't have to use it any longer to sign into my PC ( I don't use it on my MacBook Pro because it takes up so much memory). I only use my PC when I do spreadsheets or other office . Also when my PC dies which it does from time to times gets a virus etc I tend to run out of the ability to reuse it particularly during the conversion to Windows 10 with 8.1 and 7. That's when I switched and use MacBook Pro for almost everything.

You are right! It is the path of least resistance though and they were selling 365 at Costco at least for awhile at a two for one which came in handy. Not sure if they are still available.

By Lydisy
Jul 31st 2017 17:39

By Eagle66
Nov 24th 2017 17:26

I have Office Home & Student 2016.

Windows recently crashed. I had it fixed at Staples but they did not restores APPS.

I have the key (I think) but when i follow all the instructions it indicates Office cannot be installed on my computer.

I called the support number and spoke to a middle eastern fellow who remotely looked at my lap top and ended up indicating I needed to buy a spam filter for over $300.00.

I then hung up for fear I was being taken.

What do you think?