Additional training for members of boards of directors seems like an obvious move in this Sarbanes-Oxley environment. The University of Richmond recognizes this need, and has announced the Board of Directors College to be delivered September 29 - October 1, 2003.
The college is a joint effort between The Stosch Group and the University of Richmond Robins School of Business Management Institute, both members of the Board Compliance Network.(R)
"With the spotlight on corporate governance and boards being held accountable for their decisions, directors are facing new challenges as they seek to fulfill their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders," said Jill Lyons, executive vice president for research and development at Institutional Shareholders Services, the company that has accredited the College. "As part of ISS's commitment to improving corporate governance, we're happy to have the Board of Directors College at the University of Richmond among the director education programs ISS has accredited."
The Board of Directors College will begin with a day focused entirely on International Corporate Governance issues.
Featured speakers will include:
- Georges Uguex of the NYSE
- Susan Koski-Grafer of the SEC
- Peter Clapman, former chairman of the International Corporate Governance Network and senior vice-president of TIAA-CREF
- Kathy Eddy, former chair of the AICPA
- Dr. Daniel Guy, author of a guide for Audit Committees
- Steven Anderson, managing director of Marsh USA
- Ric Marshall, chief executive officer of The Corporate Library
- James Comey, US attorney for the Southern District of New York
- William Barr, former U.S. attorney general