Website Ranks Best Tuition Rates for Online Accounting Master’s Degrees in 2015by
Two schools that are part of the American Public University System (APUS) offered the most affordable accounting programs for online master’s degrees this academic year, according to a new report from Accounting Degree Review.
Tuition and fees for the online master’s degree programs at American Military University and American Public University, both located in Charles Town, West Virginia, totaled $12,650, the lowest of all the regionally accredited institutions that were examined by Accounting Degree Review, a website that provides resources for current and prospective accounting and finance students. Western International University in Tempe, Arizona, came in third at $12,800.
Founded in 1991, American Military University was one of the first universities to operate 100 percent online, according to Accounting Degree Review. Its classes start every month, so students can begin earning their degree right away. Also, students can choose a course length of eight or 16 weeks for most courses. The university is a leading provider of higher education for the military community, but more than 40 percent of its students are civilians.
Like its sister school, American Public University delivers all of its classes online. The course format is asynchronous, so students can work on their degree any time of the day.
The curriculum covers both US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and International Financial Reporting Standards to help students understand and interpret US and global accounting rules, according to the study.
“APUS prides itself on offering a wide variety of quality, affordable academic programs to adult learners,” Juan Roman, director of the accounting program for APUS, told AccountingWEB. “Our combined tuition, fees, and books are roughly 20 percent less for undergraduate and 33 percent less for graduate students than the average in-state rates at a public university. In addition, among 10 US leading providers of online education, we are on average 42 percent less for undergraduate and 33 percent less for graduate students.”
Accounting Degree Review’s affordability rankings are based on tuition and fees for out-of-state students enrolling in the 2014-15 academic year. MBA degrees were not considered for the study. Each of the top-30 most affordable schools’ tuition and fees totaled less than $24,500, with an average cost of $19,000.
“Many different types of schools are represented in the rankings,” Dee Barizo, editor of Accounting Degree Review, said in a written statement. “There are public and private schools. There are nonprofit and for-profit institutions. Some schools have all their programs online. These schools tend to have very large online enrollments. Others only have a few programs online and they have much lower numbers of online students as a result. Some schools do not have programmatic accreditation, but others are accredited by top accrediting organizations, including the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
“This is great news for prospective accounting students,” he continued. “Not only can they save time and gain flexibility and convenience from online learning, but they have many different low-cost options to choose from for their education needs.”
The following is Accounting Degree Review’s ranking of the top-30 most affordable institutions for an online master’s degree in accounting in 2015:
1. American Military University, Charles Town, WV: $12,650
1. American Public University, Charles Town, WV: $12,650
3. Western International University, Tempe, AZ: $12,800
4. Emporia State University, Emporia, KS: $13,120
5. Western Governors University, Salt Lake City: $13,645
6. University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD: $14,023
7. Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO: $15,000
8. Indiana Wesleyan University, Marion, IN: $15,150
9. Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA: $15,750
10. Shorter University, Rome, GA: $16,300
11. Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota, Winona, MN: $17,165
12. Saint Joseph’s College of Maine, Standish, ME: $17,225
13. Bellevue University, Bellevue, NE: $18,540
14. Post University, Waterbury, CT: $18,750
15. Franklin University, Columbus, OH: $18,865
16. Southwestern College, Winfield, KS: $19,400
17. Grand Canyon University, Phoenix: $20,105
18. Saint Leo University, Saint Leo, FL: $20,385
19. Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA: $20,950
20. DeVry University, Downers Grove, IL: $21,396
21. Bay Path University, Longmeadow, MA: $22,200
22. Southern New Hampshire University, Hooksett, NH: $22,572
23. University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, MA: $22,857
24. Western New England University, Springfield, MA: $23,130
25. Regis University, Denver: $23,475
26. California Baptist University, Riverside, CA: $23,600
27. Stetson University, DeLand, FL: $23,720
28. New England College, Henniker, NH: $24,156
29. Kaplan University, Fort Lauderdale, FL: $24,277
30. University of Maryland University College, Adelphi, MD: $24,314