This News Wrap-Up Brought To You By:
THIS WEEK'S NEWS
- SEC Exempts Two Reports From CEO & CFO Certification
- Deloitte Entangled in Nation's Worst Insurance Failure
- 2003 MAP Survey Provides Insight Into Accounting Profession
- Microsoft Issues Four New Critical Security Updates
- E&Y Chief Executive to Retire After Just One Year in Top Spot
- Arthur Levitt to Chair Academic "Think Tank"
- Faulty Accounting Forces Resignation of Three at CA
- FASB Defers Date For Guidance on Variable Interest Entities
- US, EU Close to Agreement on PCAOB Registration
- Will Corp. Annual Reports Follow The Homeland Security Color Scheme?
*** ADVERTISEMENT ***
Maximize your time by minimizing the effort it takes to research accounting issues using PricewaterhouseCoopers Comperio. Comperio performs efficient searches of its vast database of financial accounting and reporting literature based on the key words, topics or terms you enter. Comperio is updated regularly, and the entire online library is available at the tip of your fingers using your standard web browser. There is no software to install. For your FREE 30-day trial of Comperio, visit us on the Web.
Communication channels across the accounting profession continue to concern me deeply. I had the privilege of speaking to a group of exceptionally bright accounting students at Indiana University last week. Their top concern: a glut of accounting candidates and low demand for jobs.
I then read the results of the 2003 MAP survey of hundreds of CPA firms. Their top concern: finding and keeping qualified staff.
What's going on here? Why can't one group communicate effectively with the other? If both sides can continue to make an effort to reach out and "live" in the others'world, inviting each other to networking events and really taking the time to know and understand one another, than perhaps greater solutions can be found that can help alleviate the concerns and anxieties that both sides feel in these turbulent times.
Michael Platt, CEO
e-mail Mike Platt
If you've forgotten your login information, go to our Forgotten Login Page
THIS WEEK'S NEWS
With the threat of criminal prosecution, millions in fines and possible jail time facing them for signing off on corporate reports they know to be false, CEOs and CFOs have been leaving nothing to chance. They can breathe a little easier now that two reports have been taken off the list of those requiring their certification.
- More SOX News
The Pennsylvania Insurance Department is pointing fingers at Big Four firm Deloitte, alleging that the accounting firm contributed to the largest insurance company failure in the United States.
- More Firm News
More than 1,000 CPAs representing 47 states participated in the annual Management of an Accounting Practice survey, providing information about their firm size, length of time in practice, financial information, source of fees, salary, billing, benefits information, services provided, technology usage, and their concerns about the profession.
*** ADVERTISEMENT ***
AccountingWEB is pleased to bring you, our members, the needed tools that can help systematize your accounting department, whether you're a small company, corporate business or a public accounting firm. Over 200 accounting department policy templates, written in Microsoft Word format by PolicySoft, are available individually or in groups for immediate download. Find out more today.
On Wednesday, Microsoft announced four new critical issues regarding the Microsoft Windows product line. All four affect versions of Windows 2000, and three of them also affect other Windows versions, including Windows XP software and Windows Server 2003 for businesses.
- More Tech News
Ernst & Young announced this week that its global chief
executive, Richard Bobrow, will be stepping down from the top spot and effectively retiring immediately. Mr. Bobrow initially assumed his CEO role in July 2002.
ACCOUNTINGWEB PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTIONS
Access to our growing library of the latest insights, ideas and tools is available for only $49 a year. See a sampling of this week's Premium Subscription content below. Subscribe to the Premium Service and get your Free Download from AccountingWEB!
LAST WEEK'S HOT TOPICS
PLEASE NOTE: If you are trying to access archived articles on the AccountingWEB site, you will need to login to the site, if you have not already done so. If you have forgotten your login information, we'll remind you!
*** ADVERTISEMENT ***
Industry Profiles can assist you with everything from Business Valuations, Audits, Marketing and Business Development. The profiles are updated quarterly and new selections are being added every month! For only $99 each, you get immediate access to your document, and a one-year access license from the AccountingWEB Web site so that you can download and access your profiles from any computer, anywhere.
MORE ON ACCOUNTINGWEB...
MARKETING EXPERTISE FROM ACCOUNTINGWEB.COM
If your company is launching a new product or service, let us help you with marketing. We have over four years of hands-on experience working with an online community of accounting professionals. We'll help steer you in the right direction for the best return on investment. We'd be happy to customize a campaign to suit your needs. Just let us know your goals and your budget and we can customize a solution that fits your needs! Contact us today for more information.
- Your Personal Membership Information - Take a moment today to ensure that we have accurate, up-to-date information in our records. Just go to your Profile Page and login to update your information today!
- Login and Password Information - If you've forgotten your AccountingWEB.com login details, we'll send you a reminder.
- Premium Subscriber Information - Expert insight on managing an accounting practice, growing your business, professional development and personal improvement is just a click away for AccountingWEB Premium subscribers. Subscribe Today for only $49/year!Premium Subscription Renewal: If you wish to renew your current Premium subscription, do so here!Copyright (C) 2003 AccountingWEB, Inc. (R)
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."