Word Tip: Displaying the Filepath in a Word Document
A recent tip regarding the placement of the file path and name in an Excel worksheet header or footer sparked some requests for a similar tip for Word documents.
If you need to display the path and filename in a Word document, either in the text or in a header or footer, here is the technique:
1. Click in the spot where you want the path and filename to appear -- either right in a header or footer, or somewhere in the text of your document.
2. Click the Insert menu and choose Field.
3. In the dialog box that appears, click on FileName, which appears in the Field names column.
4. The word, FILENAME will appear beneath the list, above the word, Description. Click to the right of the word, FILENAME, and enter a backslash and the letter p.
5. Click the OK button. The current path and filename will appear in your document.
Voice of the Editor
Which isn’t completely true. I mean, occasionally I drop by when I manage to sneak out of the nonstop frat party over at Going Concern, but I’m mostly a wallflower over there. I’m happy to say that I’ve been given express permission (or explicit orders, if you like) to wander over here to AccountingWEB more often.
Why is that, you might ask? My job is to replace the irreplaceable Gail Perry as Editor-in-Chief. What does that mean? I don’t really know! I think it’ll be fun getting a feel for things, throwing in my own thoughts here and there, and listening to the discussions you’re having about the accounting profession.