Office Accounting 2009 is a free upgrade for existing users
Microsoft Office Accounting 2009 is now available for immediate download. Office Accounting is a relatively new addition to the Microsoft Office family, and shares the same look and feel as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other Office applications. Office Accounting 2009 is available in Express and Professional versions for both the United States and United Kingdom markets. Office Accounting Express users have always been able to upgrade to the latest version for free, but this time around anyone that has a paid license for Microsoft Office Accounting Standard, Plus, or Professional can upgrade to Office Accounting Professional 2009 at no charge.
Office Accounting was introduced as Microsoft Small Business Accounting 2006, and then rechristened the following year. Office Accounting has set new standards in small business accounting with ground-breaking features like direct integration with eBay and PayPal, multiple currency capability, and a Spanish-language version. Office Accounting 2009 builds on existing capabilities by adding these new features:
- A new tax integration add-in allows CPAs to export data from Office Accounting into TaxWorks and UltraTax CS.
- More than twenty new reports, including cash basis versions of many existing reports, as well as Today's Sales by Customer and YTD Sales and Profit Compared to Last Year.
- Migration wizards for Microsoft Money 2008 and QuickBooks 2008 migration to simplify converting your clients to Office Accounting 2009.
- A new ZIP code feature simplifies the search for support from local accounting professionals.
- Improved credit card processing.
Another new feature is the ability for accountants to provide a customized version of Office Accounting Express 2009 for free to their clients. Customization includes prominent placement of an accounting firm's name and an embedded Web page within the program. The Express version provides core accounting features to home-based or start-up businesses, while established businesses can upgrade to Office Accounting Professional 2009 for $199.95 per user to gain access to advanced features such as budgeting, job tracking, multi-user access, inventory, sales and purchase orders, fixed asset tracking, and more. Multiple currencies are only available in Office Accounting Professional.
Both Office Accounting Express and Professional include these distinguishing features:
- Direct integration with eBay and PayPal allows businesses to sell existing inventory items on eBay with ease.
- Integration with Microsoft Dynamics Point of Sale.
- Equifax credit reporting capabilities for both customers and vendors.
- Integrated payroll processing from ADP.
- PayPal invoice processing.
Accounting professionals can receive a free copy of Microsoft Office Professional 2009 by joining the free Microsoft Professional Accountant's Network. MPAN members receive other benefits, like access to Microsoft's ActionPack (hugely discounted licenses for a dizzying array of Microsoft software), as well as free continuing professional education (CPE).
Voice of the Editor
Which isn’t completely true. I mean, occasionally I drop by when I manage to sneak out of the nonstop frat party over at Going Concern, but I’m mostly a wallflower over there. I’m happy to say that I’ve been given express permission (or explicit orders, if you like) to wander over here to AccountingWEB more often.
Why is that, you might ask? My job is to replace the irreplaceable Gail Perry as Editor-in-Chief. What does that mean? I don’t really know! I think it’ll be fun getting a feel for things, throwing in my own thoughts here and there, and listening to the discussions you’re having about the accounting profession.