IRS Unveils New Version of Smartphone App
by AccountingWEB on
The IRS announced the availability of IRS2Go 2.0, an expanded version of its smartphone application designed to provide taxpayers easier access to practical tools and information.
The new app, available on the Apple and Android platforms, adds a new YouTube feature, news feed, and tax transcript service in addition to existing tools, such as checking on the status of a tax refund.
"The new smartphone app provides an easy way for people to get helpful information about their taxes," said IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman. "IRS2Go reflects a wider commitment at the IRS to find innovative ways to serve taxpayers in a rapidly changing world."
The IRS released the first version of IRS2Go in 2011 and had more than 350,000 downloads. The phone app offers taxpayers a number of safe and secure ways to access information and keep current on practical tax information. The 2.0 version of the phone app includes three new tools:
- Watch Us: People can view IRS YouTube videos on their smartphones. The videos provide short, informative features on a variety of tax topics. The channel ranks as the fourth most viewed channel among more than 125 federal government YouTube channels. Multilingual and American Sign Language YouTube channels also are available.
- Get the Latest News: With this tool, users can have the latest IRS news releases delivered to their phones as they become available.
- Get My Tax Record: Taxpayers can order their tax return transcript from the IRS2Go app. The transcript will be delivered via the US Postal Service to their address of record.
The free IRS2Go app will continue giving taxpayers access to the tools offered in the 2011 version:
- Get Your Refund Status: Taxpayers can check the status of their federal tax refund through the phone app with a few basic pieces of information. An updated refund status is available about three days after the IRS acknowledges receipt of an e-filed return, or four weeks after mailing a paper return.
- Get Tax Updates: Phone app users enter their e-mail address to automatically receive simple, straightforward tips and reminders to help with tax planning and preparation. Tax Tips are issued daily during the filing season and periodically throughout the year.
- Follow the IRS: Taxpayers can sign up to follow the IRS Twitter newsfeed, @IRSnews, which provides easy-to-use information, including updates on tax law changes and important IRS programs.
Apple users can update or download the free IRS2Go application by visiting the Apple App Store. Android users can visit the Android Marketplace to download the free IRS2Go app.
For more information on IRS2Go and other products and services through social media channels, visit the IRS website.
You may like these other stories...
In today's volatile marketplace, companies, regardless of their size, are dealing with more complexity than ever before. Global markets, which bring both new opportunities and new competitors, far-flung supply chains...
The issue of international assignees was, for a long time, limited to a small number of companies – meaning only those that operated on an international scale. But in recent years, global expansion has shifted into...
If you're a CPA with a bent for do-gooding, nonprofit accounting may be just your niche."We deal with a lot of organizations that do a lot of good things," says Ryan Keith, a partner in KB Parrish & Co. in...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
In this jam-packed presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA will give you a crash-course in creating spreadsheet-based dashboards. A dashboard condenses large amounts of data into a compact space, yet enables the end user to easily drill down into details when warranted.
This webcast will include discussions of important issues in SSARS No. 19 and the current status of proposed changes by the Accounting and Review Services Committee in these statements.
Kristen Rampe will share how to speak and write more effectively by understanding your own and your audience's communication style.
Amber Setter will show the value of leadership assessments as tools for individual and organizational leadership development initiatives.