IRS Unveils New Version of Smartphone App
by AccountingWEB on
The IRS announced the availability of IRS2Go 2.0, an expanded version of its smartphone application designed to provide taxpayers easier access to practical tools and information.
The new app, available on the Apple and Android platforms, adds a new YouTube feature, news feed, and tax transcript service in addition to existing tools, such as checking on the status of a tax refund.
"The new smartphone app provides an easy way for people to get helpful information about their taxes," said IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman. "IRS2Go reflects a wider commitment at the IRS to find innovative ways to serve taxpayers in a rapidly changing world."
The IRS released the first version of IRS2Go in 2011 and had more than 350,000 downloads. The phone app offers taxpayers a number of safe and secure ways to access information and keep current on practical tax information. The 2.0 version of the phone app includes three new tools:
- Watch Us: People can view IRS YouTube videos on their smartphones. The videos provide short, informative features on a variety of tax topics. The channel ranks as the fourth most viewed channel among more than 125 federal government YouTube channels. Multilingual and American Sign Language YouTube channels also are available.
- Get the Latest News: With this tool, users can have the latest IRS news releases delivered to their phones as they become available.
- Get My Tax Record: Taxpayers can order their tax return transcript from the IRS2Go app. The transcript will be delivered via the US Postal Service to their address of record.
The free IRS2Go app will continue giving taxpayers access to the tools offered in the 2011 version:
- Get Your Refund Status: Taxpayers can check the status of their federal tax refund through the phone app with a few basic pieces of information. An updated refund status is available about three days after the IRS acknowledges receipt of an e-filed return, or four weeks after mailing a paper return.
- Get Tax Updates: Phone app users enter their e-mail address to automatically receive simple, straightforward tips and reminders to help with tax planning and preparation. Tax Tips are issued daily during the filing season and periodically throughout the year.
- Follow the IRS: Taxpayers can sign up to follow the IRS Twitter newsfeed, @IRSnews, which provides easy-to-use information, including updates on tax law changes and important IRS programs.
Apple users can update or download the free IRS2Go application by visiting the Apple App Store. Android users can visit the Android Marketplace to download the free IRS2Go app.
For more information on IRS2Go and other products and services through social media channels, visit the IRS website.
You may like these other stories...
Credit Suisse says pension assets at risk unless court delays sentencingJohn Letzing of the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that Credit Suisse Group AG says its management of billions of dollars in assets for...
Success, for a practitioner in a busy CPA firm, requires the ability to handle multiple tasks effectively. To get everything done, CPAs typically track their agenda with a "to do" list or other open-item systems to...
In the old days, we used to tape down receipts from our travels and submit them to accounts payable. But that was before remote employees who may live in a different city from the home office. And of course, there's all...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
Hand off work to others with finesse and success. Kristen Rampe, CPA will share how to ensure delegated work is properly handled from start to finish in this content-rich one hour webinar.
FRF for SMEs Series--Statement of Cash Flows, Subsequent Events, Related Party Issues, Accounting for Investments including Consolidations, Part 4A
This webcast will cover the preparation of the statement of cash flows and focus on accounting and disclosure policies for other important issues described below.
We can’t deny a great divide exists between the expectations and workplace needs of Baby Boomers and Millennials. To create thriving organizational performance, we need to shift the way in which we groom future leaders.
In this presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA revisits the Excel feature you should be using, but probably aren't. The Table feature offers the ability to both boost the integrity of your spreadsheets, but reduce maintenance as well.