Excel 2007 Tip: Automatically saving Excel files and finding saved files
Excel 2007 automatically creates a backup of your work every 10 minutes. You can change this setting so that the backup is created more frequently, less frequently, or not at all. This tip explains how to change the AutoRecover feature to suit your personal needs and also shows you where your backed up files are saved.
Change AutoRecover settings by following these steps:
- Click the Office button (the round button in the top left corner of your Excel 2007 screen)
- Click the Excel Options button that appears beneath the Office menu options. The Excel Options dialog box appears.
- Click the Save option on the left side of the Excel Options dialog box.
- To use the AutoRecover feature, check the box next to "Save AutoRecover information every xx minutes."
- Enter the number of minutes you want to use as the backup frequency. Enter 10 to backup every 10 minutes, or enter 5 to backup every 5 minutes, and so on.
- Alternatively, if you don't want to use the AutoRecover feature, uncheck the box.
- Click OK. The Excel Options window closes and the changes you made are now effective.
Note: the AutoRecover file location shows you where backed up files are saved. You can change this path and folder to any other location where you want to be able to find your backed up Excel 2007 files.