AICPA's Top Ten Tips for Secured Web Sites
Many CPAs and accounting professionals are knee-deep in e-Commerce activities with clients and customers, while others are on the fence waiting for the next "big" reason to join the bandwagon.
In response to last week's e-hackers at popular sites like Yahoo!, E-trade and Amazon.com, the AICPA has released its own "top ten list" of tools to help secure Web sites.
Here is the AICPA's List of how toprotect yourself and your clients:
- Conduct a risk assessment of your online business
- Develop security standards, policies and procedures so employees will first, understand the cause and effect of security breaches, and second, konw how to respond to a threat
- Test, test and test again how vulnerable your system is to hackers
- Develop procedures for prevention and use independent third-parties to test them
- Limit the number of individuals who may access controls to your e-commerce business
- Utilize Firewalls
- Utilize surveillance tools
- Monitor your networks for unusual activity
- Contact your Internet Service Provider: Contact your ISP (if your site uses one) to determine the level of protection it already has in place
- Report computer violations to the proper law enforcement authorities