Pros And Cons of E-Filing
by AccountingWeb on
Here, in a nutshell, are their findings:
Pros of e-filing:
- Speedier processing time
- Nearly all forms available online, so most taxpayers can use the service
- Automatic extensions of time, including the second extension, may be filed on-line
- IRS quickly detects processing errors and sends information for required changes electronically
- Software is readily available through a number of sources
Cons of e-filing:
- Without a high-speed connection, preparation takes a longer time than expected
- Complete W-2 form information must be entered which is more time-consuming than simply attaching the forms to the paper return
- Software is not yet fully developed or made available to guide all businesses through the electronic filing system
- Tax returns for deceased taxpayers must still be filed manually
- The absence of a relationship with a tax professional may result in missed deductions or other errors
You may like these other stories...
School tax breaks get House support as Democrats objectRichard Rubin of Bloomberg reported that the House of Representatives on Thursday voted to expand and simplify tax breaks for education as Republicans continue to pass...
Many senior US tax professionals believe that a streamlined audit process will be the top benefit resulting from the IRS Transfer Pricing Audit Roadmap, a new toolkit organized around a notional 24-month audit timeline,...
Tax accounting to be simplified for money-market fundsThe US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) voted 3-2 on Wednesday for sweeping changes to institutional money-market funds, Emily Chasan, senior editor of...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
In this session Excel expert David Ringstrom helps beginners get up to speed in Microsoft Excel. However, even experienced Excel users will learn some new tricks, particularly when David discusses under-utilized aspects of Excel.
FRF for SMEs Series--Measurement and Disclosure Principles for various Consolidations and Business Combinations, Part 4B
This webcast will focus on accounting and disclosure policies for various types of consolidations and business combinations.
In this session we'll review best practices for how to generate interest in your firm’s services.
Meet budgets and client expectations using project management skills geared toward the unique challenges faced by CPAs. Kristen Rampe will share how knowing the keys to structuring and executing a successful project can make the difference between success and repeated failures.