IRS Looking For a Few (Thousand) Good Employees
The IRS hopes to lure prospective employees into areas of tax return audit, tax collection, and tax law explanation. Starting salaries are somewhat lower than those being offered entry-level accountants. In the San Francisco Bay Area, for example, new IRS agents will be hired in the $26,000 to $39,000 range, while entry-level accountants are reportedly earning a median salary of $43,000.
Attractive benefits of working for the IRS include:
- Job security ("We're never laid off," said IRS recruiter, Paula Schnur)
- Annual raises in the $6,000 to $7,000 range for the first two years
- Flexible work hours
- Health and life insurance
- Matching 401(k) plan
- Reimbursement plan for commuting via public transportation
- Assistance with repayment of student debt
- 40-hour work week
Contact your local IRS office for additional information.