IRS Clear On Subject Of Severance Pay

My wife is about to be eliminated in her job
because the job is being eliminated and she's going to receive a 9-month pay
settlement'I'm under the impression that there is a certain kind of account
that she can put these funds in and she can defer the taxes on them until they
are withdrawn on an interest only basis'Is that a possibility?

M'D., Indianapolis

The IRS is pretty clear on the subject of severance pay'Lump sum payments that are given as a settlement to someone who is leaving a job are subject to income tax in the year in which they are received'Your wife will see the amount she received included in full on her W-2 form in the year in which she receives the money.

It may be possible to defer taxes on some of the money if your wife is eligible to participate in a tax-deferred retirement plan, such as an IRA'If she qualifies for a traditional IRA account, she can contribute up to $2,000 (this is an annual contribution limit), which can then be deducted on your joint income tax return'If you both qualify for this type of an account, and both of you have income of at least $2,000 during the year, up to $4,000 ($2,000 each) may be contributed and used as a deduction on your tax return.

Rules for tax-deferred contributions

The rules for whether or not you qualify for participation in this type of IRA account are dependent on whether or not you or your wife participates in a pension plan at work'Also, the higher your income, the less likely it is you will be able to take a deduction for such a contribution.

Assuming the two of you file a joint tax return, and if neither of you participates in a pension plan at work, you may take the full $2,000 deduction for your IRA contribution.

If you do not participate in a pension plan at work and your spouse does participate in a plan, you may take a deduction of up to $2,000 if your joint income doesn't exceed $160,000 (if your income is in the range of $150,000 to $160,000 your deduction will be somewhat less than the maximum allowed).

If you participate in a pension plan at work, whether or not your spouse participates in such a plan, your deduction is limited if your joint 1999 income exceeds $51,000, and there is no deduction allowed if your income exceeds $61,000.

The deduction for an IRA contribution, if you meet the qualifications mentioned above, is taken on page one of your 1040'You don't have to itemize your deductions on Schedule A to take this deduction.

Non-deductible contributions

Even if you don't qualify to take a deduction for an IRA contribution, you can still make a contribution to either a traditional IRA account or a Roth IRA'Your contribution will not be deductible, but the earnings on the amount you place in the account will accumulate without your having to pay tax currently.

In a traditional IRA account, the earnings are taxed when you withdraw the funds'In a Roth IRA account the earnings are tax-free'These rules assume that you meet the requirements that go along with either of these accounts, including your age at the time of withdrawal and the number of years the money is held in the account.

Alternatives for deferring taxes

Another alternative, if your wife decides to begin working on a free-lance or contract basis, is that she can set up a different type of retirement fund, such as a Keogh plan, a Simple IRA, or a SEP IRA'These plans allow for larger amounts that can be contributed in a tax-deferred manner'If you think your wife might qualify for one of these plans, the two of you should speak with a financial advisor who can help you choose the best plan for you.

Check with employer

It is probable that most if not all of the money your wife receives will be taxable'She should be sure to verify with her employer that both federal and state income taxes will be withheld, so that you won't be caught by surprise when it is time to file your income tax return.

If your wife takes another job soon after leaving this one, and her combined income from both jobs for the year 2000 exceeds $76,300, she will most likely find that too much Social Security tax has been withheld'This is not something that can be adjusted by her new employer'Instead, you will file for a refund of the excess tax on your 1040 for 2000'There is a line on the tax return designated for this purpose.

copyright © 2000 Gail Perry - Fun with Taxes

You may like these other stories...

Truckers and other owners of heavy highway vehicles take note: Your next federal highway use tax return is due on September 2.The September 2 due date, which was pushed back two days because the normal August 31 deadline...
The head of the IRS has a message for taxpayers and tax preparers who have endured long wait times while on the phone with the tax agency: Call your member of Congress.During his keynote speech at the 69th Annual Meeting of...
Regulators struggle with conflicts in credit ratings and auditsThe Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), which was created by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act in 2002, released its third annual report on audits of...

Already a member? log in here.

Upcoming CPE Webinars

Aug 26
This webcast will include discussions of recently issued, commonly-applicable Accounting Standards Updates for non-public, non-governmental entities.
Aug 28
Excel spreadsheets are often akin to the American Wild West, where users can input anything they want into any worksheet cell. Excel's Data Validation feature allows you to restrict user inputs to selected choices, but there are many nuances to the feature that often trip users up.
Sep 9
In this session we'll discuss the types of technologies and their uses in a small accounting firm office.
Sep 11
This webcast will include discussions of commonly-applicable Clarified Auditing Standards for audits of non-public, non-governmental entities.