IRS Adding New Features to Web Site
IRS Commissioner Charles Rossotti has announced plans for changes that taxpayers can expect on the IRS Web site, www.irs.gov.
Several electronic services are expected to be added to the IRS Web site by the 2002 tax filing season, including:
- A feature that enables taxpayers to confirm that their tax return has been received by the IRS
- A feature that allows taxpayers to check the status of their tax refunds
- A personal identification number that taxpayers can select themselves
- The ability to make electronic payments, including installment payments, with a credit card
- An interactive e-mail system whereby taxpayers can submit questions to the IRS and receive personal answers
One of the goals of providing these services is to reduce the amount of telephone time required of IRS agents. Taxpayers "won't have to call us up," said Commissioner Rossotti. "This coming tax season takes away all the reasons not to file electronically."