Common Mistakes to Avoid When Filing Your Return
by AccountingWeb on
Here's hoping you didn't make any of these mistakes and that you get through tax season with your bank account and good humor still intact!
- Making math errors.
- Not including Social Security numbers.
- Not signing and dating your return.
- Not using the pre-printed label and envelope from the tax package.
- Forgetting about interest and dividends.
- Forgetting to donate unwanted items to charity.
- Not including all your forms.
- Not properly tracking your investment basis.
- Using the EZ form when a longer form could cut your taxes.
- Not getting all your payment material in order.
- Forgetting to bunch your deductions.
- Not taking all the credits you're eligible for.
- Using the wrong tax table.
- Missing the deadline to request an extension.
- Not putting the proper postage on your return package.
You may like these other stories...
The law makes it difficult for itemizers to deduct medical expenses. To reap any write-off, you must pay bills that aren't covered by insurance, reimbursed by employers or otherwise satisfied by, for example, a company-...
Drug patents held overseas can pare makers’ tax billsAs the Obama administration tries to stop companies from avoiding taxes by moving their headquarters overseas, the makers of some of the world’s most lucrative...
Starting in October, the IRS will send warning letters to tax return preparers who appear not to be complying with Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) due diligence requirements.Section 6695(g) of the Internal Revenue Code...