Survey Shows User Error Most Common PC Problem
Is your firm worried about hackers? Have all the necessary precautions been taken to protect your company computers from security breaches? If you answered, "Yes," think again. A survey published by the security research company @stake shows that the single biggest cause of network security breaches is mistakes by users.
Here are some of the more common mistakes uncovered by the research company:
- Leaving passwords on paper notes
- Failing to change passwords from the default
- Incorrectly configuring hardware
- Encrypting data but leaving the data on a machine in unencrypted format
- Connecting servers directly to the Internet, bypassing router firewalls
A similar survey conducted by KMPG produce comparable results. According to the KPMG survey, the majority of computer fraud is committed by employees trying to access the company's inside information.