Networking Made Simple - Develop New Business Opportunities
by AccountingWeb on
Networking is an important way to develop new business opportunities, yet for many professionals it's their least favorite marketing activity. These pointers can help you network better and get results.
- Listen, don't talk.
- Don't drink. This is business.
- Choose your opportunities. Hunt where the ducks are.
- Don't be generic. Rehearse a 30 second pat statement that reveals some details about who you are as a person, what you do for a living, and what your firm specializes in.
- Target only one person at each event and get to know them well.
- Ask for an introduction instead of just watching and wishing.
- Carry your appointment book.
- Take notes. It's flattering. Use the back of the person's business card. (Be aware that in some cultures, especially Asian cultures, writing on the card can seem disrespectful.)
- Give information. You are trying to help others with their business needs, not just collect names. Give something away to get something back.
- Follow up. If you get a card, send a personal note afterwards.
6 days 10 hours ago by iplata