Busy Season Stress Busters…Part One
by AccountingWeb on
Here are some ideas to help ease the stress of tax season from the members of AccountingWEB.com.
- Have a Friday Dessert Contest - Have spouses children bake desserts for the staff such as cookies, brownies and other finger foods each week and give a bouquet of flowers each week to the contest winner.
- Have a Theme Meal or Theme Day - Picnic, Mexican, 50's Party, Hawaiian etc.? Encourage staff to wear appropriate attire for one of the above ideas. It doesn't take away from productivity, but it may lighten up the atmosphere for the day! You could hang a pinata in the staff kitchen - get a little aggression out of the way!
- Bring in Ice Cream Bars or Yogurt Bars during the workweek. Have a staff member, manager or Partner distribute the bars after lunch or before the end of the day. Nice idea for those firms in the Deep South.
- We do bowling for bunnies... We have 9 little pink bunnies we set up at the end of the hall and then roll (bowl) 2 3" round plastic balls to see who can knock down the most bunnies. We also flip for pop, where everyone flips a quarter; highest number of heads (or tails) is out. The looser buys every participant a soda.
- A Scavenger Hunt! Make up a list of "Find Someone Who?" (Use your imagination) phrases and encourage employees to have it completed by the end of the week. This is a great way to encourage employee interaction during those long days at their desks.
- Potluck Lunch or Dinners! Have staff bring in a dish for lunch or breakfast and encourage staff to take a break and enjoy the meal with the entire staff.
- Dress Your Manager Day. Anyone with direct reports would be dressed for a day by their staff. Have a few ground rules such as: It has to be gender specific and no skin! Have manager's dress up like nuns, biker chicks or dudes, in pajamas, as a policeman, Elvis, a Wiseman, a "used car salesman" and Joker etc.
- "Beat the sheet" where every week we send out more returns than the year before, we won a prize. Company shirts, swim passes gift certificates were some of the prizes.
- We provide a concierge service to our staff. We have a young retiree who runs errands for the staff -- they love it!
- Saturday childcare is good idea for teens to help with as well.
You may like these other stories...
Many firms these days claim the bulk of their new business comes from referrals, essentially saying their existing clients do all the business development for them. But this won't work unless you can build true client...
No field likes its buzzwords more than technology, and one of today's leading terms is "the cloud." But it's not just a matter of knowing what's fashionable. Accounting professionals who know how to use...
With tomorrow being Tax Day, you might see some procrastinators at your office filling out forms, printing out paperwork, or getting last-minute tax advice from their accountant so they can meet the IRS’s filing...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
In this exciting presentation Excel expert David H. Ringstrom, CPA shares tricks that you can use with pivot tables every day. Remember, either you work Excel, or it works you!
Is everyone at your organization meeting your client service expectations? Let client service expert, Kristen Rampe, CPA help you establish a reputation of top-tier service in every facet of your firm during this one hour webinar.
In this session Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA introduces you to a powerful but underutilized macro feature in Excel.
This material focuses on the principles of accounting for non-profit organizations' revenues. It will include discussions of revenue recognition for cash and non-cash contributions as well as other revenues commonly received by non-profit organizations.