Ten Preconditions To Personal Development
by AccountingWeb on
Reprinted with Permission from "The Goals Guy".
- Intellectual Curiosity - A passion to understand the changing forces swirling around you, an eagerness to learn them faster, and a recognition that learning is an unending journey.
- Humility - A pervasive acknowledgement that no one can have all the answers. You must have a willingness to learn from others.
- Self-Criticism - A logical extension of humility. A constant questioning of conventional wisdom and a keen awareness that success invariably sows the seeds of failure.
- A High Tolerance for Ambiguity, Complexity and Change -Learning is experimental. Thrive on change; don't allow yourself to be intimidated by its rough and unpolished exterior. Complexity and ambiguity are simply part of the 21st Century condition.
- Experimentation - It is only by experimenting with new approaches, monitoring the results and incorporating the feedback into new initiatives that learning takes place.
- A Hunger for Feedback - A genuine eagerness to reach out and get performance feedback from a variety of sources, and a willingness to listen to it and make changes.
- Learning by Doing - Have a bias towards action. The use of real-world tests is a much more fertile source of learning than abstract speculation.
- An Appreciation for Failure and Mistakes - Learning is more a product of failure than success will ever be. View experiments as desirable, mistakes as inevitable and failures as the raw protein necessary for success.
- Systematic Methods of Data Collection and Distribution - Intellectual capital is rarely created and shared by accident. Conscious mechanisms must be put in place to, acquire, disseminate, and leverage knowledge.
- Creative Self-Destruction - No advantage lasts forever. Render yourself obsolete before others do it for you. It's the price world-class innovators gladly pay for staying ahead of the pack.
Reprinted With Permission. All Rights Reserved. (C) The Goals Guy. You can find out more information on The Goals Guy, by visiting their Web site at http://www.goalsguy.com/About/ggls.html
You may like these other stories...
Teresa Taylor, former COO of the multibillion dollar telecommunications giant Qwest, remembers the exact moment she stopped chasing the work-life balance myth.When Taylor's eldest son Jack was in second grade he invited...
Event Date: September 10, 2014, 2 pm ETTransfer your knowledge and experience to prepare your team for the challenges and opportunities of an accounting career. Kristen Rampe will show you can have a significant impact...
Regulatory compliance, risk management and cost-cutting are the big heartburn issues for finance execs in the C-suite. Yet financial planning and analysis—a key antacid—is insufficient.That's just one of the...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
In this session we'll discuss the types of technologies and their uses in a small accounting firm office.
Transfer your knowledge and experience to prepare your team for the challenges and opportunities of an accounting career.
This webcast will include discussions of commonly-applicable Clarified Auditing Standards for audits of non-public, non-governmental entities.
In this jam-packed presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA will give you a crash-course in creating spreadsheet-based dashboards. A dashboard condenses large amounts of data into a compact space, yet enables the end user to easily drill down into details when warranted.