The GSCPA Graduates the Ninth Class from Its Leadership Academy
by AccountingWEB on
By AccountingWEB Staff
The Georgia Society of Certified Public Accountants (GSCPA) recently sponsored and completed its ninth Leadership Academy class, graduating twenty new CPA leaders into the community.
"The GSCPA Leadership Academy program offers a life-changing experience to participants," says Colin Blalock, chairman of the GSCPA. "The goal is to enhance the participants' leadership abilities by understanding themselves and how they interact with others. It is applicable and beneficial on a professional, personal, and community level. The GSCPA now has 200 Leadership Academy graduates acting as leaders in our communities and the accounting profession."
"The GSCPA now has 200 Leadership Academy graduates acting as leaders in our communities and the accounting profession."
The Leadership Academy is a high-quality, customized program based on assessment data that fosters individual self-reflection and serves as a means to encourage personal leadership development. It enables future leaders to develop new skills to serve more effectively in the organization, their workplace, and their community. The program is comprised of over fifty hours spent inside and outside the classroom that cover self-assessment; facilitating skills to achieve organizational consensus; negotiating; and persuading, problem solving, and team building.
Lisa S. Robinson, CPA, regional accounting manager with IDI and a recent Leadership Academy graduate, highly recommends the program. "Leadership Academy put me in situations where I was a little uncomfortable, but it gave me an opportunity to stretch and grow."
The next Leadership Academy begins fall of 2012, and the GSCPA is already accepting nominations for the next round of emerging leaders.
2011 Leadership Graduates:
- Christopher J. Anderson, CPA of Adams Capital, Inc; Atlanta, Georgia
- Jessica H. Cawley, CPA of Cherry, Bekaert & Holland, LLP; Augusta, Georgia
- Lisa L. Conti-Bacon, CPA of Hancock Askew & Co., LLP; Savannah, Georgia
- Karen C. Drescher, CPA of Karen C. Drescher, CPA, PC; McDonough, Georgia
- Paul M. Hodgson, CPA of Frazier & Deeter LLC; Atlanta, Georgia
- Stuart A. Jackson, CPA of The Jackson Group, PC; Atlanta, Georgia
- Tracey L. Jackson, CPA of Nichols, Cauley & Associates, LLC; Warner Robins, Georgia
- Cristi H. Jones, CPA of Thigpen, Jones, Seaton & Co, PC; Dublin, Georgia
- Chanika A. King, CPA of Smith & Howard, PC; Atlanta, Georgia
- David P. Payne, CPA, MBA of Robinson, Grimes & Company, PC; Columbus, Georgia
- Anthony S. Pritchett, CPA of Cypress Communications; Atlanta Georgia
- Lisa S. Robinson, CPA of IDI; Atlanta, Georgia
- Jessica E. Straub, CPA of Habif, Arogeti & Wynne, LLP; Atlanta, Georgia
- Robert B. Stroud, CPA of Habif, Arogeti & Wynne, LLP; Atlanta, Georgia
- Christopher B. Thomas, CPA of Moore Stephens Tiller LLC; Brunswick, Georgia
- Carlos Villegas, CPA of Forrestall, Galeano & Li CPA LLC; Atlanta, Georgia
- Margaret H. Waldrep, CPA of Cerqueda, Morgan & Collins LLP; Marietta, Georgia
- Kristy L. Walker, CPA of the University of Georgia; Athens, Georgia
- Carrie M. Wilkins, CPA of Treadwell, Tamplin & Company; Madison, Georgia
- Maria A. Williamson, CPA of Jones and Kolb, CPAs; Atlanta, Georgia
Graduates pictured by row, from left to right
Front row: Carlos Villegas, Jessica Straub, Lisa Robinson, Tracey Jackson, Jennifer Poff, Karen Drescher
Middle row: Jessica Cawley, Cristi Jones, Carrie Wilkins, Lisa Conti-Bacon, Chanika King, David Payne, Margaret Waldrep
Back row: Rob Stroud, McCullough Hodgson, Christopher Thomas, Anthony Pritchett, Christopher Anderson, Stuart Jackson, Kristy Walker, Maria Williamson
You may like these other stories...
When Theodore J. Flynn first joined the Massachusetts Society of CPAs (MSCPA) in 1970, it was a different world and a different profession. The "Big Eight" were still headquartered in Boston. Vietnam War...
Accountant Rickey Charles Goodrich had it a little too good. Many bean counters would kill to serve as financial guru to the likes of Pearl Jam. Goodrich was hired in 2005, and the following year, he became the CFO of Curtis...
By Jason Bramwell, Staff WriterAreas of general accounting and finance – including forecasts and budgets, financial reporting, and mergers and acquisitions – were cited by more than half of CFOs as projects they...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
BAR is an acronym for: Boundaries, Authority and Role. This simple tool will provide participants with a solid understanding of leadership essentials to improve their performance.
This material is designed to provide a start-to-finish overview of how to plan and complete high-quality small audits efficiently.
In this session Excel expert David H. Ringstrom, CPA shares numerous techniques that you can use to work with charts more efficiently.
Key Accounting and Reporting Issues for Nonprofits No. 1: Overview and Statement of Financial Position
This material focuses on non-profit organizations organization, accounting and reporting.