CGMA: Global Management Accounting Designation Launched by AICPA and CIMA
by AccountingWEB on
By Anne Rosivach
In a joint venture, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) have launched a new global accounting designation – Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) – that recognizes the unique skills of professional management accountants working in business.
The CGMA is available to members of both organizations. AICPA members can explore the benefits of the designation for free until July 31, 2012. After that, a designation fee of $150 ($100 for CGMAs who are members of both the AICPA and a state society) will be added to their AICPA renewal form. The CGMA is free for CIMA members.
Benefits of the CGMA
The new designation gives professional accountants access to information, tools, products, and a global network. Some of the benefits listed on the CGMA site include:
- Website and publications: Access to CGMA publications, including CGMA Magazine and the CGMA Newsletter.
- Community/Global Network: Connect to a global network of peers via CGMA's online community.
- Tools: Planning tools, checklists, decision trees, an enterprise risk management assessment tool, and real-world case studies.
- Reports: Research, tools and techniques, and strategic insights from experts on key issues facing businesses in the global economy.
- Professional development: Online courses, webinars, digital publications, and conferences are available at special pricing for CGMA holders.
Experience requirements for AICPA members
To qualify for the CGMA credential, AICPA members must meet just one of the CGMA experience requirement options. The options are a minimum of:
- Three years of financial (including internal audit) or management accounting experience in business, industry, or government; or
- Two years of financial or management accounting experience plus one year in public accounting; or
- Three years of financial/management accounting experience on a consulting basis; or
- Three years in a management accounting role focused on the management and operation of an accounting firm.
You may like these other stories...
Accountants who specialize in forensic and valuation services point to electronic data analysis, or big data, as the most pressing issue they’ll face in the coming months, according to results of a new survey released...
Renaissance avoided more than $6 billion tax, report saysThe Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations said on Monday that a Renaissance Technologies LLC hedge fund’s investors probably avoided more than $6...
Your 15-year-old may be tech-savvy enough to debug your computer, back-up data on your mobile devices, and help you stream episodes of Game of Thrones, but chances are you can’t expect them to display the same level of...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
In this presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA revisits the Excel feature you should be using, but probably aren't. The Table feature offers the ability to both boost the integrity of your spreadsheets, but reduce maintenance as well.
In this session Excel expert David Ringstrom helps beginners get up to speed in Microsoft Excel. However, even experienced Excel users will learn some new tricks, particularly when David discusses under-utilized aspects of Excel.
FRF for SMEs Series--Measurement and Disclosure Principles for various Consolidations and Business Combinations, Part 4B
This webcast will focus on accounting and disclosure policies for various types of consolidations and business combinations.