CGMA: Global Management Accounting Designation Launched by AICPA and CIMA
by AccountingWEB on
By Anne Rosivach
In a joint venture, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) have launched a new global accounting designation – Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) – that recognizes the unique skills of professional management accountants working in business.
The CGMA is available to members of both organizations. AICPA members can explore the benefits of the designation for free until July 31, 2012. After that, a designation fee of $150 ($100 for CGMAs who are members of both the AICPA and a state society) will be added to their AICPA renewal form. The CGMA is free for CIMA members.
Benefits of the CGMA
The new designation gives professional accountants access to information, tools, products, and a global network. Some of the benefits listed on the CGMA site include:
- Website and publications: Access to CGMA publications, including CGMA Magazine and the CGMA Newsletter.
- Community/Global Network: Connect to a global network of peers via CGMA's online community.
- Tools: Planning tools, checklists, decision trees, an enterprise risk management assessment tool, and real-world case studies.
- Reports: Research, tools and techniques, and strategic insights from experts on key issues facing businesses in the global economy.
- Professional development: Online courses, webinars, digital publications, and conferences are available at special pricing for CGMA holders.
Experience requirements for AICPA members
To qualify for the CGMA credential, AICPA members must meet just one of the CGMA experience requirement options. The options are a minimum of:
- Three years of financial (including internal audit) or management accounting experience in business, industry, or government; or
- Two years of financial or management accounting experience plus one year in public accounting; or
- Three years of financial/management accounting experience on a consulting basis; or
- Three years in a management accounting role focused on the management and operation of an accounting firm.
You may like these other stories...
Cybersecurity is no longer the domain of an organization's IT staff. It's moved to the boardroom, and in a big way. Accountants and financial managers may have been thinking it's just the province of the tech...
Boehner addresses GOP priorities ahead of midterm electionsHouse Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) on Thursday delivered what amounted to closing arguments ahead of the November elections, laying out a list of Republican...
Former DOJ Tax Division head Kathryn Keneally joining DLA Piper in New YorkGlobal law firm DLA Piper announced on Thursday that Kathryn Keneally, the former head of the US Justice Department Tax Division, is joining the firm...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
In this jam-packed presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA will give you a crash-course in creating spreadsheet-based dashboards. A dashboard condenses large amounts of data into a compact space, yet enables the end user to easily drill down into details when warranted.
This webcast will include discussions of important issues in SSARS No. 19 and the current status of proposed changes by the Accounting and Review Services Committee in these statements.
Kristen Rampe will share how to speak and write more effectively by understanding your own and your audience's communication style.
Amber Setter will show the value of leadership assessments as tools for individual and organizational leadership development initiatives.