College Grads Share Goals, Concerns as They Prepare to Enter Workforce
Job search engine Simply Hired has published the results of its survey of college students who are graduating this spring. The results show the mind-set of many of the students who are about to join (or try to join) the workforce.
Do you already have a job secured for after graduation?
- 80% No
- 20% Yes
How specific are your career goals?
- 45% I have a specific occupation and industry in mind
- 23% I have interest in an occupation but I'm not sure about industry
- 22% I am open to most any job, so long as it promises experience
- 5% I have a few companies I would like to work for, but that's about it
- 5% I am still uncertain about my career goals after graduation
What is the primary way you have searched or will search for a job?
- 49% Job search engine
- 12% Company websites
- 11% Job boards (such as Craigslist, CareerBuilder)
- 9% Career centers or career fairs
- 9% Recruiting, staffing, and other employment agencies
- 9% Other
Are you optimistic about your opportunities in the job market after graduation?
- 43% Yes
- 32% Not sure
- 26% No
How many internships have you had during college?
- 33% 1
- 32% I haven't had any internships
- 20% 2
- 15% 3
When did you start your job hunt?
- 29% Present to 3 months prior to graduation
- 20% 3 months to 6 months prior to graduation
- 19% 6 months to 9 months prior to graduation
- 18% More than 9 months prior to graduation
- 13% I haven't started searching for a job
How far would you be willing to move for your first job?
- 29% Open to move anywhere
- 23% I don't want to move for my job
- 17% A new city within my state
- 16% Another region of the US (East to West, South to North, etc.)
- 12% Another state
- 4% Another country
How much do you expect to earn when you enter the workforce?
- 29% $40,000-$50,000
- 27% $30,000-$40,000
- 23% $30,000 or less
- 16% $60,000 or more
- 5% No expectations
Do you feel prepared to enter the workforce after graduation?
- 70% Yes
- 20% Not sure
- 10% No
How long do you expect to stay at your first job?
- 41% At least 1 year
- 38% 2 or more years
- 11% 5 or more years
- 6% 10 or more years
- 3% 6 or fewer months
What is the most important thing for you in a future company?
- 33% Job security
- 23% Salary
- 23% Health care and other benefit options
- 18% Company culture and perks
- 3% Company size
Which of the following would be your ideal place to work?
- 39% Small to medium-sized company
- 27% Large corporation
- 19% Public sector
- 11% Nonprofit
- 4% Startup
About the survey:
Simply Hired, Inc. conducted an online user survey between March 29 and April 9, 2012 targeted to college students graduating this year. Each question received over 250 responses. Simply Hired is an online job search engine with over 8 million job listings. The site, www.simplyhired.com, services 25 million monthly users across 24 countries.
Source: Simply Hired
Voice of the Editor
Results from a recent AICPA survey disclosed the two top priorities for CPA firms as they plan for the future: bringing in new business and finding talent. Our goal at Sift Media is to help our readers deal with the issues most important to them. One way in which we are doing this is through the launch of our new recruitment/placement service, Going Concern Jobs. Check it out today for your talent needs.
This Week on AccountingWEB
Brian Fox, CPA, founder and CMO of Confirmation.com, explains how the company's electronic audit confirmation service helped the FBI uncover a $6 million fraud scheme.
Russ Wilson of Moss Adams talks with us about the firm's collaboration with WWU in educating and developing talented accounting and business professionals.
Plante Moran CPAs Gordon Krater, Alicia Sturtevant, and Susan Perline spoke with AccountingWEB about the firm's Women in Leadership initiative.
Jeff Thomson, CMA, president and CEO of the IMA, talks with us about the 2013 jobs market for accounting professionals.