College Grads Share Goals, Concerns as They Prepare to Enter Workforce
by AccountingWEB on
Job search engine Simply Hired has published the results of its survey of college students who are graduating this spring. The results show the mind-set of many of the students who are about to join (or try to join) the workforce.
Do you already have a job secured for after graduation?
- 80% No
- 20% Yes
How specific are your career goals?
- 45% I have a specific occupation and industry in mind
- 23% I have interest in an occupation but I'm not sure about industry
- 22% I am open to most any job, so long as it promises experience
- 5% I have a few companies I would like to work for, but that's about it
- 5% I am still uncertain about my career goals after graduation
What is the primary way you have searched or will search for a job?
- 49% Job search engine
- 12% Company websites
- 11% Job boards (such as Craigslist, CareerBuilder)
- 9% Career centers or career fairs
- 9% Recruiting, staffing, and other employment agencies
- 9% Other
Are you optimistic about your opportunities in the job market after graduation?
- 43% Yes
- 32% Not sure
- 26% No
How many internships have you had during college?
- 33% 1
- 32% I haven't had any internships
- 20% 2
- 15% 3
When did you start your job hunt?
- 29% Present to 3 months prior to graduation
- 20% 3 months to 6 months prior to graduation
- 19% 6 months to 9 months prior to graduation
- 18% More than 9 months prior to graduation
- 13% I haven't started searching for a job
How far would you be willing to move for your first job?
- 29% Open to move anywhere
- 23% I don't want to move for my job
- 17% A new city within my state
- 16% Another region of the US (East to West, South to North, etc.)
- 12% Another state
- 4% Another country
How much do you expect to earn when you enter the workforce?
- 29% $40,000-$50,000
- 27% $30,000-$40,000
- 23% $30,000 or less
- 16% $60,000 or more
- 5% No expectations
Do you feel prepared to enter the workforce after graduation?
- 70% Yes
- 20% Not sure
- 10% No
How long do you expect to stay at your first job?
- 41% At least 1 year
- 38% 2 or more years
- 11% 5 or more years
- 6% 10 or more years
- 3% 6 or fewer months
What is the most important thing for you in a future company?
- 33% Job security
- 23% Salary
- 23% Health care and other benefit options
- 18% Company culture and perks
- 3% Company size
Which of the following would be your ideal place to work?
- 39% Small to medium-sized company
- 27% Large corporation
- 19% Public sector
- 11% Nonprofit
- 4% Startup
About the survey:
Simply Hired, Inc. conducted an online user survey between March 29 and April 9, 2012 targeted to college students graduating this year. Each question received over 250 responses. Simply Hired is an online job search engine with over 8 million job listings. The site, www.simplyhired.com, services 25 million monthly users across 24 countries.
Source: Simply Hired
You may like these other stories...
Curious as to what the fastest-growing accounting and finance jobs might be for the next several years? According to the new 2015 Salary Guide from staffing firm Accounting Principles, some of those jobs include bookkeeping...
In most cases, accountants have gaps in their resumes because they got fired and could not find another job they liked within a short amount of time. If you went back a decade such a gap could have been considered a death...
If you're thinking that bitcoin and digital currency generally are merely some one-off flash in the pan, the new Digital Currency Council would argue otherwise. The council launched in September and already had 400...