AICPA announces 2008 Elijah Watt Sells awards
by AccountingWEB on
The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants has announced winners of the 2008 Elijah Watt Sells Awards.
The awards are presented annually to the 10 candidates earning the highest cumulative scores on the four sections of the computerized Uniform CPA Examination. These candidates must have completed testing during the previous calendar year and passed each exam section on their first attempt. Over 85,000 individuals sat for the exam in 2008.
The 2008 Sells Award winners (in alphabetical order, followed by their state board affiliation) are:
- Jennifer Renee Clifton (Virginia), a graduate of the University of Virginia with a BS in Commerce and a Master’s in Accounting, is currently employed by KPMG LLP in Washington, DC.
- Stanley J Gordon Jr. (Utah), a graduate of Utah Valley University with a BS in Accounting and a Master of Accountancy from Brigham Young University, is currently employed with Wisan, Smith, Racker & Prescot in Salt Lake City.
- Brad Hocking (North Carolina), a graduate of the University of South Carolina with a BS in Business Administration, is currently working for Deloitte & Touche LLP in Charlotte, NC.
- Christopher Michael Leon (Missouri), a graduate of the University of Missouri – St. Louis with a BS in Accounting is planning on creating a successful public accounting practice and developing his talents into a career in consulting.
- Jennifer Rachel Luchs (Wisconsin), a graduate of Marquette University with a BS in Business Administration, is currently employed by Deloitte Tax LLP in Milwaukee.
- Clint Presley (Texas), a graduate of McNeese State University with a BS in Accounting and a Master’s of Education in Sports Administration from Wichita State University, is currently employed by Moore, Reichl & Baker, P.C. in Houston.
- Leslie Johnson Rezgui (Colorado), a graduate of Yale University with a BA and a Master’s of Accounting and Financial Management from DeVry University, is currently working for The Spectranetics Corporation in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Gabriel Vaughan (Texas), a graduate of the University of Texas at Dallas with a BS, an MBA and a Master’s in Accounting and Information Management, is currently working for FelCor Lodging Trust, Inc. in Irving, Tex.
- Sheriann Wirkkala (Virginia), a graduate of Gonzaga University with a BS in Business Administration and a Master’s in Accountancy, is currently employed by KPMP LLP in Washington, DC.
- Tyler S. Wright (Missouri), a graduate of Missouri State University with a BSBA and a Master’s of Accountancy, is currently working for KPMG LLP in Kansas City, Mo.
The AICPA created the award to honor Elijah Watt Sells in 1923. Sells was one of the country’s first CPAs under the provision of a New York State law enacted in 1896 and a leader in advancing professional education. He was active in the establishment of the AICPA and was a founder of New York University’s School of Commerce, Accounts and Finance. He died in 1924.
Launched in 2004, the computerized version of the Uniform CPA achieved one million administrations in July.
For more information on the exam, visit www.cpa-exam.org.
You may like these other stories...
For the first time in the five-year history of Vault.com’s rankings of the top 50 accounting firms to work for in North America, a firm has held the top spot as best accounting employer for two consecutive years....
With complex financial issues playing a larger role in litigation, and people increasingly turning to CPA experts to involve themselves in everything from criminal investigations to shareholder disputes to uncovering assets...
Event Date: April 24, 2014 In this session Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA introduces you to a powerful but underutilized macro feature in Excel. David will introduce the Macro Recorder, which transforms actions...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
Is everyone at your organization meeting your client service expectations? Let client service expert, Kristen Rampe, CPA help you establish a reputation of top-tier service in every facet of your firm during this one hour webinar.
In this session Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA introduces you to a powerful but underutilized macro feature in Excel.
This material focuses on the principles of accounting for non-profit organizations' revenues. It will include discussions of revenue recognition for cash and non-cash contributions as well as other revenues commonly received by non-profit organizations.
During the second session of a four-part series on Individual Leadership, the focus will be on time management- a critical success factor for effective leadership. Each person has 24 hours of time to spend each day; the key is making wise investments and knowing what investments yield the greatest return.