How to run a business successfully
by AccountingWeb on
Expert commentary, rules and regulations, tips, and general information for starting, running, and growing a business.
- Choosing a business structure
- Starting your own business in 30 days
- Thinking about a home office?
- Tax reminders for businesses with home offices
- IRS publishes fact sheet on for-profit hobby deduction rules
- New IRS analysis shows only half of Schedule C income is reported
- Has the IRS overreached in audits of small businesses?
- SBA offers free online training course in franchising
- IRS launches campaign to help new small businesses
- IRS shifting audit focus to small corporations from largest corporations
- Home office deduction makes Top Ten list for government reform
- Tax pitfalls you could face as a small business owner
- New employer ID numbers now available instantly online
- Issues spouse-owned businesses should consider
- 5 Start-up mistakes entrepreneurs should avoid
- Hiring essentials: Conducting background checks
- Effective rules for successful mentoring
- Marketing core services and niche practices after Sarbanes-Oxley
- The risks in hiring new employees
- Is the perfect employee really out there?
- Measuring employee engagement
- 10 steps to maximizing ROI in employee pay
- Setting up payroll in a small business
- Offering benefits reduces employee turnover in small businesses
- Top five hiring mistakes small businesses make
- 7 Reasons why managers find it difficult to throw out bad apples
Sales and Marketing
- Staying top of mind (without being a pain in the neck)
- Is it time for your company to add a sales team?
- Ramp up your brand - sledgehammers and service brand preference
- Creating customer loyalty: Keep them coming back
- New book offers tips to help small retailers compete
- Giving your business clients things they need
- Entrepreneurial positive thinking: Six ways to give yourself the greatest chance for success
- Using online press releases to get prospects
- Allen Boress: How to measure your firm's marketing performance
- Business intelligence on the rise among small businesses
- E-mail newsletters grow in popularity & help small businesses gain visibility
- How to increase your online visibility using Work.com
- Why Intuit helps you with more than just your books
- Disaster recovery, backup, and restore: Big challenges for small businesses
- Lean & not mean: Simple management most effective
- Tips on how to conduct an effective meeting
- Growing your small business with project management
- 12 tips to help small retailers thrive in a recession
Keeping the Books
- Reducing float for fun and profit
- Budgeting trends help SMBs and SMEs thwart headaches
- Eight cash flow secrets of entrepreneurs
- For small businesses, cash flow is king
- Record keeping for small businesses
Retirement and Succession
- Solo 401(k) plans - great benefit for the sole proprietor
- Succession planning for solo business owners
You may like these other stories...
Is it time to consider a value added tax?Forbes contributor Joseph Thorndike wrote yesterday that he believes the tax reform proposal by House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp (R-MI) was dead on arrival. But he...
Read more from Larry Perry here and in the Today's World of Audits archive.The planning phase of an audit engagement of an entity using US GAAP or a special purpose framework will, with minor differences, include similar...
Internal audit: Know when to discloseIn an excerpt from his book, Lessons Learned on the Audit Trail, Institute of Internal Auditors President and CEO Richard F. Chambers said if you analyze enough audit reports, you can...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
In this exciting presentation Excel expert David H. Ringstrom, CPA shares tricks that you can use with pivot tables every day. Remember, either you work Excel, or it works you!
Is everyone at your organization meeting your client service expectations? Let client service expert, Kristen Rampe, CPA help you establish a reputation of top-tier service in every facet of your firm during this one hour webinar.
In this session Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA introduces you to a powerful but underutilized macro feature in Excel.
This material focuses on the principles of accounting for non-profit organizations' revenues. It will include discussions of revenue recognition for cash and non-cash contributions as well as other revenues commonly received by non-profit organizations.