How to run a business successfully
by AccountingWeb on
Expert commentary, rules and regulations, tips, and general information for starting, running, and growing a business.
- Choosing a business structure
- Starting your own business in 30 days
- Thinking about a home office?
- Tax reminders for businesses with home offices
- IRS publishes fact sheet on for-profit hobby deduction rules
- New IRS analysis shows only half of Schedule C income is reported
- Has the IRS overreached in audits of small businesses?
- SBA offers free online training course in franchising
- IRS launches campaign to help new small businesses
- IRS shifting audit focus to small corporations from largest corporations
- Home office deduction makes Top Ten list for government reform
- Tax pitfalls you could face as a small business owner
- New employer ID numbers now available instantly online
- Issues spouse-owned businesses should consider
- 5 Start-up mistakes entrepreneurs should avoid
- Hiring essentials: Conducting background checks
- Effective rules for successful mentoring
- Marketing core services and niche practices after Sarbanes-Oxley
- The risks in hiring new employees
- Is the perfect employee really out there?
- Measuring employee engagement
- 10 steps to maximizing ROI in employee pay
- Setting up payroll in a small business
- Offering benefits reduces employee turnover in small businesses
- Top five hiring mistakes small businesses make
- 7 Reasons why managers find it difficult to throw out bad apples
Sales and Marketing
- Staying top of mind (without being a pain in the neck)
- Is it time for your company to add a sales team?
- Ramp up your brand - sledgehammers and service brand preference
- Creating customer loyalty: Keep them coming back
- New book offers tips to help small retailers compete
- Giving your business clients things they need
- Entrepreneurial positive thinking: Six ways to give yourself the greatest chance for success
- Using online press releases to get prospects
- Allen Boress: How to measure your firm's marketing performance
- Business intelligence on the rise among small businesses
- E-mail newsletters grow in popularity & help small businesses gain visibility
- How to increase your online visibility using Work.com
- Why Intuit helps you with more than just your books
- Disaster recovery, backup, and restore: Big challenges for small businesses
- Lean & not mean: Simple management most effective
- Tips on how to conduct an effective meeting
- Growing your small business with project management
- 12 tips to help small retailers thrive in a recession
Keeping the Books
- Reducing float for fun and profit
- Budgeting trends help SMBs and SMEs thwart headaches
- Eight cash flow secrets of entrepreneurs
- For small businesses, cash flow is king
- Record keeping for small businesses
Retirement and Succession
- Solo 401(k) plans - great benefit for the sole proprietor
- Succession planning for solo business owners
You may like these other stories...
It's not a reality—yet—but accounting software is poised to eliminate accountants. We are at a tipping point for many similar professions: online education replacing professors, legal software replacing...
Inversions: Loophole Is the ProblemJacob J. Lew, the U.S. Treasury Secretary, published an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal that "the system has become full of inefficiencies and special-interest loopholes. That...
School tax breaks get House support as Democrats objectRichard Rubin of Bloomberg reported that the House of Representatives on Thursday voted to expand and simplify tax breaks for education as Republicans continue to pass...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
In this session Excel expert David Ringstrom helps beginners get up to speed in Microsoft Excel. However, even experienced Excel users will learn some new tricks, particularly when David discusses under-utilized aspects of Excel.
FRF for SMEs Series--Measurement and Disclosure Principles for various Consolidations and Business Combinations, Part 4B
This webcast will focus on accounting and disclosure policies for various types of consolidations and business combinations.
In this session we'll review best practices for how to generate interest in your firm’s services.
Meet budgets and client expectations using project management skills geared toward the unique challenges faced by CPAs. Kristen Rampe will share how knowing the keys to structuring and executing a successful project can make the difference between success and repeated failures.