How to run a business successfully
Expert commentary, rules and regulations, tips, and general information for starting, running, and growing a business.
- Choosing a business structure
- Starting your own business in 30 days
- Thinking about a home office?
- Tax reminders for businesses with home offices
- IRS publishes fact sheet on for-profit hobby deduction rules
- New IRS analysis shows only half of Schedule C income is reported
- Has the IRS overreached in audits of small businesses?
- SBA offers free online training course in franchising
- IRS launches campaign to help new small businesses
- IRS shifting audit focus to small corporations from largest corporations
- Home office deduction makes Top Ten list for government reform
- Tax pitfalls you could face as a small business owner
- New employer ID numbers now available instantly online
- Issues spouse-owned businesses should consider
- 5 Start-up mistakes entrepreneurs should avoid
- Hiring essentials: Conducting background checks
- Effective rules for successful mentoring
- Marketing core services and niche practices after Sarbanes-Oxley
- The risks in hiring new employees
- Is the perfect employee really out there?
- Measuring employee engagement
- 10 steps to maximizing ROI in employee pay
- Setting up payroll in a small business
- Offering benefits reduces employee turnover in small businesses
- Top five hiring mistakes small businesses make
- 7 Reasons why managers find it difficult to throw out bad apples
Sales and Marketing
- Staying top of mind (without being a pain in the neck)
- Is it time for your company to add a sales team?
- Ramp up your brand - sledgehammers and service brand preference
- Creating customer loyalty: Keep them coming back
- New book offers tips to help small retailers compete
- Giving your business clients things they need
- Entrepreneurial positive thinking: Six ways to give yourself the greatest chance for success
- Using online press releases to get prospects
- Allen Boress: How to measure your firm's marketing performance
- Business intelligence on the rise among small businesses
- E-mail newsletters grow in popularity & help small businesses gain visibility
- How to increase your online visibility using Work.com
- Why Intuit helps you with more than just your books
- Disaster recovery, backup, and restore: Big challenges for small businesses
- Lean & not mean: Simple management most effective
- Tips on how to conduct an effective meeting
- Growing your small business with project management
- 12 tips to help small retailers thrive in a recession
Keeping the Books
- Reducing float for fun and profit
- Budgeting trends help SMBs and SMEs thwart headaches
- Eight cash flow secrets of entrepreneurs
- For small businesses, cash flow is king
- Record keeping for small businesses
Retirement and Succession
- Solo 401(k) plans - great benefit for the sole proprietor
- Succession planning for solo business owners
Voice of the Editor
What would you do if one of your clients won the lottery? We asked several accountants to weigh in with their advice for the lucky Powerball winner, and the tips we received are useful for anyone who receives a windfall, whether it's a lottery win, an inheritance, a big bonus on the job, or a killing in the stock market.
This Week on AccountingWEB
CPAs Mira Finé, Scott Hitchcock, Rob Keasal, Kathy Scorcio, and Ken Travis offer ten pieces of financial advice for the newest Powerball winner.
Hang Bower of BDO USA and Dan Black of Ernst & Young share their perspectives on why their firms made the Best Places to Work for Recent Grads 2013 list.
Herbein + Company, Inc. firm members talked with AccountingWEB about their year-round employee wellness program.
Bill Walter of Gross, Mendelsohn & Associates and Harold Gaar of TravisWolff LLP weigh in on mobile technology use while employees are at work.