AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide - Issue 40
March 11 - March 15, 2002
- Diversity Poll Identifies Top-Ranked Accounting Firms
- Federal Court Takes Action Against Illegal Tax Promotions
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Comperio FREE 30-Day Trial
- XBRL Statements Make Their Internet Debut
- Free CPE From Accountemps For AccountingWEB Members
- Andersen Provides New Insights for Audit Committees
- The Case for Halting the Auditors' Revolving Door
- Excel Tip - Shortcuts for Copying Cells in Your Workbook
- Don't Turn Your Employees Into Victims
- Be Recognized For Your Firm's Ethics
- Book Recommendation: Practice What You Preach, By David Maister
- From the Archives: Ten Amazing Statistics On The Changing World Of Work
"They must often change, who would be constant in happiness and
wisdom." -- Confucius
Visit the AccountingWEB home page for the latest news and happenings around the profession. Just go to: http://www.accountingweb.com
A survey by The Black Collegian magazine of more than 2,300 African, Asian, Hispanic, and Native American undergraduate and MBA students found that corporate diversity is a critical factor for minority students in deciding upon employers, and several major accounting firms are among the companies that excel in this area.
A federal court in Tampa, Florida has obtained a permanent injunction against tax-avoidance promoter Joseph N. Sweet and his organization, EDM Enterprises, of Bradenton, Florida ordering them to cease selling and promoting tax avoidance plans and tax shelters.
Accounting regulations and concepts that were once simple and objective have become increasingly complex and voluminous. In today's environment it is essential to find the right information - quickly. PricewaterhouseCoopers Comperio is your one-stop source for financial reporting and assurance literature from authoritative bodies around the world. For your FREE 30-day trial of Comperio, visit us today.
Microsoft Corporation has announced that it is the first technology company to publish its financial statements on the Internet using Extensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL).
Accountemps is offering you and your staff free CPE credit--in less than an hour! During difficult economic times, finding low-cost ways to enrich employees while maintaining the bottom line can be a real challenge. Our 50-minute presentations are a convenient way to continue professional development while keeping up-to-date on the latest industry trends. Presentations may be conducted at your local Accountemps office or held in your office for you and your staff. Learn more about our CPE presentations today.
Visit the AccountingWEB PressZONE today for the latest news from top companies around the country. New releases include, CCH 2002 Tax Legislation - Books and Online Resources and Intacct Announces New Solution for Online Storage and Retrieval of Supporting Documents For Accounting Transactions. Visit the PressZONE today for more news and product updates.
Accounting giant Arthur Andersen is rolling out a new series of publications for audit committees. The inaugural edition of a newly released newsletter aptly named Insight is available now on the firm's web site.
Law-makers and businesses are taking steps to halt the "revolving door" between auditors and their clients. A majority, 58%, favor imposing a two- to five-year waiting period during which auditors may not accept senior positions with audit clients.
It's easy to copy the contents of a cell or a range of cells to another location on the same page or a different page of your Excel workbook. It's also easy to copy cell contents to another workbook. Use these quick-copy techniques to make sure your cell information gets to the right location.
The shortage of experienced personnel in the accounting profession has become critical. According to most estimates, this will not change in the near future. Every firm is looking for a magical way to keep staff happy, motivated and out of the job market.
America is experiencing what some perceive to be a crisis of confidence in the way business operates. To help identify those businesses that exhibit high moral and ethical standards, the Council of Better Business Bureaus is holding a National Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics competition. Check it out today.
11. Book Recommendation: Practice What You Preach, By David Maister
Maister, a professional service consultant, surveyed 6,500 employees at 50 worldwide companies to evaluate the relationship between company financial performance and employee satisfaction and loyalty. Here, he offers detailed commentary from CEOs, managers and staffers, and analysis of the survey results.
12. From the Archives: Ten Amazing Statistics On The Changing World Of Work
From the shrinking labor force, to retention, to the "free agent" mentality, the world of work is changing fast and furiously.
Here is a sample of the questions that have been posted this week. Check out all the questions below at our Q&A Forum and see if you can lend a hand or check out the recent answers posted by our members.
1. What kinds of non-financial rewards are allowed in both governmental agencies and non-governmental corporate companies? What are the newest non-financial rewards ideas in both areas, governmental and corporate?
2. If a corporation hedges their cost of goods sold to make sure that they don't lose money due to currency devaluation, can that hedge qualify for FAS 133 treatment? Thus it will go to Other Comprehensive Income rather than going to the P&L in this period.
3. XYZ Inc. sponsors a 401(k) plan for its employees. It matches employees' voluntary deferrals at a rate of 50% for the first 6% of pay deferred. The match is paid as company stock. For purposes of the company's income statement, are these matching contributions always recorded as an expense? Does it matter if the matching contributions are newly issued shares rather than treasury stock?
4. A member is looking for accounting / Time & Billing Software for an Advertising/Marketing/PR client. Does anyone have any recommendations or direction as to where they can get some information on this?
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."