AccountingWEB News Wrap-Up - Issue 214
- PCAOB to Look at Reasons Behind Audit Firm Firings
- Enron Deal Reached, Andersen Attorney Says "What About Us?"
- California Enacts Nation's Strictest Anti-Spam Law
- PCAOB Chair Updates Congress on Progress
- Senate Banking Committee Takes on Auditor Independence
- Illinois Sues Online Retailers Claiming Cyber Tax Evasion
- Congress Considers Manufacturing Tax Cuts
- IRS Offers Relief to Victims of Hurricane Isabel
- New Association Helps Lower Costs of Sarbanes-Oxley
- Medicaid Cost Containment on States Agendas Across the U.S.
for Your Government Division?
CGFM - The Preferred Professional Designation. If you want a financial management staff that is knowledgeable, skilled and experienced, turn to Certified Government Financial Management (CGFM) holders. They are serious about their careers, participate in professional development activities, and meet the rigorous standards endorsed by a national professional organization. Call 800-AGA-7211 for a FREE INFORMATION KIT AND GIFT or visit us at www.agacgfm.org/cgfm/information.aspx
Let me say up front that I've been an avid Excel user since the original version 1.0 hit the marketplace. I can navigate my way around a spreadsheet along with the best of them. But I hit a snag on a formatting issue using Excel 2002 this week and it drove me C-R-A-Z-Y.
I've since solved the problem, but the frustration hasn't
diminished yet. As new software versions continue to come out, what seemed to have worked in a previous version has been replaced by a "better" way in the new version, and software veterans need to re-learn the better solution.
As we get older, and more set in our ways, each of us needs to make an extra effort to recognize and embrace new approaches to solving old problems. Whether it's a simple issue like software upgrades or a more complex issue like redefining business processes, we all need to be more open to exploring "new and improved" solutions. Sometimes they really ARE better. (But sometimes they are not . . .)
Michael Platt, CEO
e-mail Mike Platt
If you've forgotten your login information, go to our Forgotten Login Page
Charles Niemeier of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) put corporate America on notice this week, announcing that if a company fires its auditors, the Board is going to want to know why.
Merrill Lynch reached an agreement last week in the Enron affair that will result in a very different fate than the one that befell Arthur Andersen.
This week, California Governor Davis signed the toughest anti-spam law in the nation, declaring it illegal to send Californians unsolicited e-mail advertisements.
November 11-12, 2003 - St. Louis, Missouri. Every CPA firm has people on staff who are being asked to develop relationships and bring in new business, yet they may not really feel "cut out" for that role. This two day-workshop provides a realistic approach to practice development for CPAs - even those who are a bit reluctant. Find out more!
Public Company Accounting Oversight Board Chairman William McDonough appeared before the Senate Banking Committee for the first time this week to update the progress being made at the Board towards auditor oversight.
ACCOUNTINGWEB ON THE LIGHTER SIDE...
4. What's Coming Up Next Week on AccountingWEB!
Make sure you check out the site this week for the upcoming
articles, Overcoming Attendance Problems: Free Report;
What Recruits Really Want to Know; AARP Survey Finds Most
Americans Plan on Working Into 70's and much more! Check it out!
Visit the AccountingWEB News Page for the latest updates!
Access to this growing library of the latest insights, ideas and tools is available for only $49 a year. See a sampling of this week's Premium Subscription content below.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are trying to access archived articles on the AccountingWEB site, you will need to login to the site, if you have not already done so. If you have forgotten your login information, we'll remind you!
Click here for more Hot Topics on AccountingWEB
Visit the AccountingWEB Question and Answer Forum for this week's topics. Post your comments and/or questions and lend a hand today!
If your company is launching a new product or service, let us help you with marketing. We have over four years of hands-on experience working with an online community of accounting professionals. We'll help steer you in the right direction for the best return on investment. We'd be happy to customize a campaign to suit your needs. Just let us know your goals and your budget and we can customize a solution that fits your needs! Contact us today for more information.
- Your Personal Membership Information - Take a moment today to ensure that we have accurate, up-to-date information in our records. Just go to your Profile Page and login to update your information today!
- Login and Password Information - If you've forgotten your AccountingWEB.com login details, we'll send you a reminder.
- Premium Subscriber Information - Expert insight on managing an accounting practice, growing your business, professional development and personal improvement is just a click away for AccountingWEB Premium subscribers. Subscribe Today for only $49/year!
Premium Subscription Renewal: If you wish to renew your current Premium subscription, do so here!
Copyright (C) 2003 AccountingWEB, Inc. (R)
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."