25 Ways to Improve Your Personal Image

A bad personal impression gives a message that is not always accurate. For example, bad breath gives the impression that you are dirty. Poor eye contact gives an impression that you are disinterested.

To succeed, you need respect.

Personal impressions are so important in this society that a bad personal impression can hurt your chances of success. People dislike being around you. You make them uncomfortable. They distrust you somehow.

A good personal impression makes your job easier. It opens the door to good relationships. A good personal image helps make people listen to you, believe you, like you. Here are 25 Ways to Improve Your Image.

1. Have no smells. Use an effective unscented deodorant. Avoid perfume and cologne.

2. Wear clean clothing with no stains. Ensure the clothing fits well and looks professional.

3. Females should avoid heavy cosmetics, large jewelry or sexy clothing.

4. Ensure your fingernails are clean, smooth and well-shaped.

5. Pluck hair that sticks out of your ears or nose, between eyebrows, out of moles or other odd places.

6. Give a healthy image: no red eyes, sniffles or coughing.

7. Ensure you have clean-smelling breath, non-greasy hair

8. Get as much cosmetic dentistry as you need to have clean, attractive teeth.

9. Wear nothing extraordinary: psychidelic ties, long fingernails, nose jewelry, tattoos, hats, big rings.

10. Stand when first meeting someone, no matter who they are.

11. Walk with good posture; stand tall, lift your chin.

12. Sit straight.

13. Make good eye contact.

14. Smile at everyone.

15. Shake hands with or pat a shoulder of everyone you meet.

16. Use dry, warm hands for handshaking.

17. Allow a comfortable amount of space between you and others.

18. Laugh easily; it makes people relax and makes your face glow.

19. Watch your humor. Avoid jokes about race, disability, sex and so on. Tell jokes about yourself or pass on humorous stories that anyone would enjoy.

20. Appear relaxed, yet energized.

21. Use good manners. Say "please," "thank you," and "excuse me" to everyone, regardless of who you think they are.

22. Use good language. Bad/good examples: "c’mere/come here," "ain’t/isn’t," "yeah/yes," "nah/no."

23. Acknowledge everyone; ignore no one.

24. Say "goodbye to everyone as they leave.

25. Most important of all, show your pride.

"Pride is the primary reason for good appearance." — L. Ron Hubbard. Provided by TipsForSuccess.org as a public service to introduce you to the technology of L. Ron Hubbard.

Copyright © 2003 TipsForSuccess.org. All rights reserved. Grateful acknowledgment is made to L. Ron Hubbard Library for permission to reproduce selections from the copyrighted works of L. Ron Hubbard. Programmed in the United States.

You may like these other stories...

This article originally was published on Practice Development Counsel. Read more generational articles by Phyllis Weiss Haserot.  As professionals and executives become more senior, there’s often a...
This morning, after I had my coffee, I got ready for a mind-clearing jog. After opening the door and feeling an arctic blast on my face, I quickly turned around and thought about another activity, writing.  You see...
Welcome to the AccountingWEB series "Michael Alter's Dollars and Sense" by Michael Alter, president of SurePayroll. You can see all of his articles here.One of the most important things you can do for...

Upcoming CPE Webinars

Jul 31
In this session Excel expert David Ringstrom helps beginners get up to speed in Microsoft Excel. However, even experienced Excel users will learn some new tricks, particularly when David discusses under-utilized aspects of Excel.
Aug 5
This webcast will focus on accounting and disclosure policies for various types of consolidations and business combinations.
Aug 20
In this session we'll review best practices for how to generate interest in your firm’s services.
Aug 21
Meet budgets and client expectations using project management skills geared toward the unique challenges faced by CPAs. Kristen Rampe will share how knowing the keys to structuring and executing a successful project can make the difference between success and repeated failures.