- Create Expectations
Tell people up front what is expected of them.
- Set a Stretch Challenge
Make people grow and coach them along the way.
- Never move too slowly on critical personnel decisions
Dragging your feet here will really hurt your business.
- Involve people in both DEVELOPING and IMPLEMENTING strategy
Too much tops down brings the top down.
- Call a Spade a Spade
Address poor performance or it'll cost you -- BIG.
- Reward your stars!
Pay good performers what they're worth, and it will be returned to you tenfold.
- Get the Right Person for the job
Define the job and find the person who can do it rather than redefining the job to fit the capabilities of the incumbent.
- Require that People do Their Homework
When people are not prepared for meetings, the company is not prepared to make decisions. Stop the presses!
- Constantly Upgrade Skills
Provide continuous training to keep people at their best.
- Recognize That Pride Drives Performance More Than Money
Complement people for a job well done.
Ten People Management Tips
May 28th 2002