AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide - Issue 42
March 25 - March 29, 2002
This Resource Guide Brought to You By:
RESOURCES FOR ACCOUNTINGWEB MEMBERS
- Managing A Multi-Office Team
- Quick MS Word Tips to Save You Time and Money
- 10 Radical Resolutions To Create Your Best Year Ever!
- Ten Busy Season Media Opportunities
- The Efficient Auditor Newsletter From AuditWatch
- Find Deductibility Limits on Contributions to Charitable Organizations
- Internet Tip: Online Answers to Common Software Questions
- POB Calls for New Independent Institute of Accountancy
- Book Recommendation: Marketing Professional Services: Practical Approaches to Practice Development, by Patrick Forsyth
- From the Archives: Leading Organizational Change
- Update: Waste Management, Occidental Petroleum Drop Andersen
"Out of clutter, find Simplicity. From discord, find Harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies Opportunity." - - Albert Einstein
Visit the AccountingWEB home page for the latest news and happenings around the profession.
RESOURCES FOR ACCOUNTINGWEB MEMBERS
To build the proper foundation requires that you, as a practice coach, invest time both in meeting with individual people and then in providing an opportunity for the entire group to become more orientated to a geographically diverse, team culture.
Here are some helpful tips to help you save time and money during your day-to-day activities.
The New Year brings the opportunity for change. For many us, it's the time to think about resolutions. Often these resolutions are the same ones that we make every year or the ones we only stick to for a few weeks.
CLIENT CONTENT PACKAGES - SPECIAL DISCOUNT PRICING
Don't miss this SPECIAL offer on the AccountingWEB Client Content Packages. Everyone agrees that a client or customer newsletter is important, but the time, money and effort to create a unique product never seem to materialize. Now, you can begin providing your clients with news and ideas to help them succeed, just by ordering the AccountingWEB Client Content Packages. You can save $$ during this special offer. Order by April 15, and save! Find out more details today.
Accounting firms have a great opportunity to leverage the media exposure the profession is afforded during Busy Season. Here are 10 events, which afford an opportunity to send press releases and a few tips on making the releases more newsworthy.
The Efficient Auditor Newsletter is the most unique publication in the world of auditing. First, it's loaded with practical tips and ideas to improve your engagements. In addition, you'll find yourself smiling and even laughing as you read each issue. That's right-The Efficient Auditor is an auditing publication that you'll truly enjoy reading!
The IRS publishes an online version of Publication 78, Cumulative List of Organizations, which is intended to assist you in learning if an organization is exempt from federal taxation and, if so, determining how much of your contributions to that organization are tax deductible.
A free service called "FreeAnswers" can assist you in getting answers to many software packages' "help functions", such as Quicken, Excel, Pagemaker and more.
MARKETING & VALUATION RESOURCE
Discover the benefits of the Industry Profiles Library from First Research. AccountingWEB's Industry Profiles, developed by First Research, Inc., will assist you in developing and keeping up-to-date in industry niches. Reports are just $99.00 each and are invaluable in your arsenal of knowledge. Visit the Industry Profile page for a complete listing of individual profiles. Read customer testimonials
At Congressional hearings on March 19, 2002, Charles A. Bowsher, the chairman of the accounting profession's Public Oversight Board (POB), and Aulana Peters, a POB member and former Commissioner of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), asked Congress to create an Independent Institute of Accountancy (IIA).
State Society Special Offer - News You Can Use
AccountingWEB now has Member News Content for your state CPA society to deliver to its members. Let us provide you with the top national accounting news weekly. All the news you have come to know from AccountingWEB can be yours for your members to access directly from you. We will prepare the weekly news stories and send them to you via e-mail and you do the rest. Don't let another week go by without providing extra value for your members. Contact our customer service department today toll free at 877-927-2932 for more information.
9. Book Recommendation: Marketing Professional Services: Practical Approaches to Practice Development, by Patrick Forsyth
From the author of Developing Knowledge-Based Client Relationships, Forsyth takes you step by step through the techniques, explaining the benefits and applications of each. Drawing on his considerable experience in professional services, Patrick Forsyth gives you a wealth of practical, action-based advice that cannot fail to help your business grow and make it more profitable.
10. From the Archives: Leading Organizational Change
Change is here to stay, and to survive we must all understand it, embrace it, and learn to use it to our advantage. Change management strategies can have a significant impact on the organization's bottom line and you must ensure that your workforce is flexible and responsive in order to meet changes in market and business demands.
Big Five firm Andersen is facing almost daily defections of major clients as publicly held companies jump ship in search of another auditor. Waste Management, Occidental Petroleum and Dynegy have announced they have switched to other Big 5 firms.
TOP FIVE JOB POSTINGS ON ACCOUNTINGWEB
ACCOUNTINGWEB Q&A FORUM
Here is a sample of the questions that have been posted this week. Check out all the questions at our Q&A Forum and see if you can lend a hand or check out the recent answers posted my our members.
1. How does one value a LTD company? Company has been trading for over five years, how much do directors sell it for?
2. Tax on lump-sum distributions. When a distribution qualifies for averaging on form 4972, it appears to me that the amount of the distribution is excluded from AGI. Is this correct? This causes my client to not owe tax on social security income that she would otherwise owe. Does this make sense?
3. How does a partial sale of home, fit in with the current tax law? Would the $120,000 be tax exempt because it fell under the "Sale of Home Exclusion", although he still has 80 acres and the house?
Copyright (C) 2002 AccountingWEB, Inc.
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."