The fifth and latest installment of David Maister’s 15-part podcast series Managing Professionals: Attitudes, Skills and Behaviors explores the characteristics good leaders need in order to inspire others to follow them. Since professionals are not necessarily predisposed to being led, never mind being “bossed” or “managed”, the characteristics of good leadership need to be cultivated and honed before an individual is actually in a leadership position.
| All Aboard the High-Velocity 2006 FRx Express! FRx Software has the engine fired up again to travel nationwide with timely training and expert guidance! Microsoft FRx and Microsoft Forecaster users, potential users and resellers don’t miss this FREE*, half-day event!
Once you’re on board, the FRx Software experts will help you gain tremendous insight into Microsoft FRx and Microsoft Forecaster. You’ll have the opportunity to hear customer perspectives and network with prospects plus pack in useful tips, and see the features and benefits of FRx Software’s financial analytic applications. Register now!
So what characteristics must leaders have to get people to follow them? According to Maister, there are four basic characteristics all good leaders have. They are:
- Motive – giving evidence of being dedicated to the success of the group and helping others, typically by being a good role model before getting the leadership job.
- Values – sharing core values and philosophy with team members and demonstrating a commitment to those principles, as well as having enthusiasm and a passion to be better.
- Competence – having constructive new ideas about how to improve and innovative new approaches on how to achieve goals.
- Style – being both supportive and demanding: achieving a balance of these traits is a rare thing and also consulting and soliciting the views of others and taking time to listen to their views before taking action or making decisions.
Previous http://davidmaister.com/podcasts/3/ podcasts include:
- How Managers Should Spend Their Time
- A Great Coach in Action
- How Managers Add Value and
- A Natural Manager
The Managing Professionals: Attitudes, Skills and Behaviors series of podcasts explores methods for building business through marketing, client services, client relations and selling. All podcasts are free and new installments are available weekly.