AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide - Issue 47
May 6 – May 10, 2002
This Resource Guide Brought to You By:
- IRS Seeks Volunteers for Taxpayer Advocacy Panel
- Lack of Information Frustrates Employees
- A Secure Virtual Office for Accounting Professionals
- Marketing For Professional Services Firms According to Seinfeld
- The Consulting Accountant - Free Subscription
- Are You Providing Your Clients With The 'Right Kind of Counsel'?
- Four Ways to Help Your 'Old Dog' Employees Learn Some New Tricks
- IRS Provides Options for Additional 1st Year Depreciation
- SEC Announces Investor's Summit - Webcast
- Accounting Majors Obtain Higher Percentage of Job Offers-Survey
- Book Recommendation: How To Become A Great Boss, by Jeffrey Fox
- From the Archives: Accrual-to-Cash Excel Spreadsheet Resource
Plus: PressZONE, CareerZONE, and The MarketPlace
"A lot of people have great ideas, but nothing in the world is cheaper
than a good idea with no action." – - Anonymous
The Treasury Department has announced that the Taxpayer Advocacy Panel (TAP) is being expanded from 10 to all 50 states, and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is inviting civic-minded individuals to apply for positions on the volunteer panel.
One out of every two employees feels that they do not receive the information they need to do their job well. As a result, employees feel frustrated and the quality of the organization's products and services suffer.
"Mangomind" enables remote access, workgroup file sharing, and online collaboration with your staff and clients on all Windows files, such as Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, & Peachtree. Access up-to-date documents from home, remote offices, or from any Internet connected PC. Windows applications run on Mangomind just like they do on your local PC. Mangomind starts at just $29.95/month for up to five unique users. Download a Free 30-day Trial or call us toll free 888-886-2646 and mention Code AWEB for your Free 30-Day Trial.
It's no wonder that you won't see stand-up CPAs on HBO. For some reason, the professions don't lend themselves to being a comedian, although at times our clients do some very funny things (usually without consulting us first).
The Consulting Accountant – Software, Systems, and Support -Subscription is FREE - visit today. The Consulting Accountant delivers technology, systems & experience that enable you to make a dramatic difference to your small and mid sized business clients. Visit now to see how more than 800 firms are benefiting from Ric Payne’s newest venture. Go to Consulting Accountant today. Powered by Principa.
The Art of Managing a Group of Professionals
On Thursday May 2, David Maister and Patrick McKenna presented a one-hour session on the Art of Managing a Group of Professionals, based on their new book First Among Equals. The conference call for AccountingWEB members drew multiple managers and partners from several dozen CPA firms to learn from the masters on how to maximize the productivity of the groups they manage.
There are almost 17 million small businesses in the United States, (U.S. Small Business Administration) and while the accounting profession has recently come under a completely new kind of scrutiny, even small businesses, as well as the millions of independent and small accounting firms, are being affected by "big business" scandals.
If you want your employees to work together online, you must first help them break out of their comfort zones. Collaboration Architects co-founder John Darling tells you how.
Rev. Proc. 2002-33 released by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) last week provides more options for taxpayers. Under the Revenue Procedure, taxpayers who filed their 2000 and 2001 tax returns before June 1, 2002 still have time to claim the deduction or file an election to not claim the deduction.
"Is Management Consulting the 'Dream Job' or is it a professional's 'Worst Nightmare'?" A unique event coming up July 17 in Chicago will give experienced independent professionals a chance to effectively and meaningfully address this question.
Hoping to restore investor confidence, the SEC has scheduled its first-ever Investor Summit to be held simultaneously live and in an Internet Webcast on Friday, May 10. The live summit will be held in Washington, D.C. at the SEC headquarters at 450 Fifth Street, N.W. There is no charge to attend the summit, but seating is limited.
Employers may have cut back significantly on college recruiting, but they haven’t abandoned campus altogether, according to the Spring 2002 issue of Salary Survey, a quarterly report by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).
11. Book Recommendation: How To Become A Great Boss, by Jeffrey Fox
Imagine running into the ultimate management mentor late one night on an otherwise deserted commuter train, and walking away from the strange encounter with an encapsulated guide to success in the corporate world. That's exactly what screenwriter and business coach Patrick Lencioni has done in The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable, placing his tale in an easy-reading and thought-provoking kind of self-help novel. Purchase it today!
12. From the Archives: Accrual-to-Cash Excel Spreadsheet Resource
You may download this simple spreadsheet to convert accrual basis net income to cash basis. Many financial statement preparers simply zero out the ending balance sheet accounts relative to income and expenses in an attempt to arrive at the adjusted net income amount.
- The Top Accounting Employers for the Class of 2002
- Best Degrees and Curriculum for Accounting Grads
- 2002 Accountants Salary Guide
- Financial Scandals Turn Forensic Accounting Into a Hot Job
- Jump-Starting a Stalled Job Search
- Disaster Planning For CPA Firms $39.95
- The Funtastic Firm $29.95
- Employee Orientation and Training $39.95
- 110 Ideas for Organizing Your Business Life $9.95
Here is a sample of the questions that have been posted over the past week. Check out the questions below and see if you can lend a hand or visit the Q&A Forum Page for the most recent questions/answers posted by our members. http://www.accountingweb.com/help/anyanswers.html
- What are the most critical facts I need to find out about new audit firms my company might change over to? I need some ideas on good, searching questions to put to them.
- I'm interested in finding out how to evaluate ROI, when a firm has invested in another private company using bonds. For example, Company X buys 1000 in bonds offered by Company Y (50%of invested capital in Y). Any help you may provide for these questions is appreciated.
- I am looking for a Professional Business Valuation Package that encompasses advanced Valuation features, advanced M&A features, and be able to draw from databases info for use in the analysis report. I need a powerful presentation format and at the same time easy to use. It must also have compatibility with Excel and Word 2000 and produce reports on Microsoft Word. Can you please give me a few options?
- Panel of Experts Share Their Views On Business In The Post-Enron Era
- CCH Journal Analyzes Implications of Anti-Terror Measures for Aviation
AccountingWEB has a variety of promotional opportunities available for you to market your company, services and products to our targeted audience of accounting professionals. Brand awareness and lead generations are the main reasons for an ongoing and targeted marketing campaign. Contact us today for more information.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
Update your membership information by visiting the Profile Page and selecting the "My Services" tab.
Copyright (C) 2002 AccountingWEB, Inc.
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."