The Internal Revenue Service has created a special Web section for taxpayers seeking information about their rights when dealing with the nation's tax agency. The "Taxpayer Rights Corner" can be found at www.irs.gov under the "Tax Info for You" section.
The section brings a variety of issues involving taxpayer rights issues into one convenient place.
The Taxpayer Rights Corner includes topics ranging from basic taxpayer information to detailed steps on how to get help from the IRS. Among the areas highlighted on the web page:
- "Know Your Rights" spells out basic taxpayer rights.
- The notice section gives quick links to understanding IRS notices.
- For examination and collection issues, the Taxpayer Rights Corner connects to publications detailing step-by-step IRS processes.
- If taxpayers have a disagreement with the IRS, information is available in the Appeal Rights section.
- Taxpayers with difficulty solving their problems through normal IRS channels can contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service.
- The site also has information on questions involving legal representation and confidentiality privileges.
The page can be accessed at www.irs.gov/ind_info/txpyr_rights/index.html
This daily Tax Tip has been provided by the IRS