Sometimes when you are preparing your federal tax return, you need a little help. The IRS offers free assistance by computer, telephone, fax, and in person. The IRS can assist you with obtaining forms, publications and answers to a wide range of tax questions. If you qualify, IRS can even help you find free tax preparation.
How to get help:
- Personal Computer - With your personal computer and Internet connection, you can access a wealth of free tax information at www.irs.gov. While at the site, you can review topics such as "Frequently Asked Tax Questions" (located under "Tax Help & Ed"), "Forms and Publications," "Fill-In Forms," "Tax Info for You," "Tax Regs in English," and "Small Business Corner." If you can't find your answer, you may submit your tax question via e-mail.
- Order forms, instructions and publications by calling 1-800-829-3676.
- Ask tax questions by calling 1-800-829-1040.
- TTY/TDD users may call 1-800-829-4059 to ask tax questions or to order forms and publications.
- TeleTax topics - Call 1-800-829-4477 to hear pre-recorded messages covering various tax topics, or to check on the status of your refund.
- TaxFax Service - Using the phone attached to your fax machine, you can receive forms and publications by calling 1-703-368-9694.
- Walk-In Service - You may walk in to many post offices, libraries and IRS offices to pick up certain forms and publications.
- Assistance with your return - Free tax preparation is available through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs in most communities. Volunteers help prepare basic tax returns for low-income taxpayers, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and non-English speaking people. Call 1-800-829-1040 to find the VITA or TCE site nearest you. You may also call AARP - the largest TCE participant -- at 1-877-227-7844 to see if they have one of their Tax Aide sites in your community.
Whichever method is best for you, the IRS is there to meet your tax information needs. Free assistance with tax questions is available by calling 1-800-829-1040 24 hours a day, seven days a week.