The Internal Revenue Service is always looking for ways to assist tax preparers and has set up a web site highlighting the top errors paid preparers are making on this years tax returns.
The "Top Ten" list covers paper returns for 1040's, 1040A's and 1040EZ's.
From the IRS' list, here are the Top Ten mistakes on 1040 returns so far this tax season:
- Taxpayer identification numbers or names for dependents didn't match IRS or SSA records. We didn't allow the exemptions.
- Taxpayer identification numbers or names for dependents didn't match IRS or SSA records. We didn't allow all or part of the child tax credit.
- Dependent's last name had to be corrected.
- Earned income credit was figured or entered incorrectly.
- Primary SSN was incorrect or illegible. We corrected it.
- SSN for child(ren) who qualify taxpayer for earned income credit didn't match SSA records. Earned income credit was changed.
- Didn't include nontaxable earned income from W-2's. Earned income credit was changed.
- Child tax credit was figured incorrectly.
- Based on information reported, we refigured the tax using the filing status for a single person.
- Name Line 1 was illegible or did not match our records. We corrected it.