This News Wrap-Up Brought To You By:
THIS WEEK'S NEWS
- IRS, States Partner to Target Abusive Tax Avoidance
- House Passes Internet Tax Moratorium
- PCAOB Tackles Tax Shelters
- New Challenges For Reporting 2002 Capital Gains
- Taxes Paid to State and Local Governments Jumps in FY 2003
- Justice Department Leans on Grant Thornton, Abusive Tax Shelters
- AICPA Task Force Issues Report Containing 14 Recommendations
- TurboTax E-File Scam May Land Wisconsin Woman in Jail
- SEC Seeks Ways to Work in Harmony With State Authorities
- NYSE's Grasso Yields to Public Outcry and Resigns
*** SPONSOR OFFER ***
When you're researching an important issue, it doesn't add value to spend unnecessary time searching through numerous reference sources. Let PricewaterhouseCoopers Comperio perform the search for you, based on the key words, topics or terms you enter. Comperio is updated regularly, and the entire online library is available at the tip of your fingers using your standard web browser. There is no software to install. For your FREE 30-day trial of Comperio, visit us on the Web.
*** PLATT'S PERSPECTIVE ***
Michael Platt, CEO
e-mail Mike Platt
If you are trying to access articles on the AccountingWEB site, you may need to be logged into the site, if you have not already done so in the past few months. If you have forgotten your login information, go to our Forgotten Login Page
THIS WEEK'S NEWS
This week the Internal Revenue Service and state tax officials announced the creation of a new nationwide partnership to combat abusive tax avoidance. Under agreements with individual states, the IRS will share information on abusive tax avoidance transactions and those taxpayers who participate in them.
On Wednesday, the House of Representatives passed the Internet Tax Non-Discrimination Act, the bill that imposes a permanent ban on taxes on Internet services.
In its top-to-bottom review of all aspects of the auditing business, the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) has turned its attention to tax shelters.
*** SPONSOR OFFER ***
AccountingWEB is pleased to bring you tools that can help systematize the accounting department of a small company, corporate business or a public accounting firm. Over 200 accounting department policy templates, written in Microsoft Word are available for immediate download. You can choose from eight groups. Check them out today!
Schedule D, Capital Gains and Losses, the tax form used to report sales of assets held as investments, is in for a facelift. Changes to the form for the Spring 2003 tax filing season will incorporate new tax rules that provide a lower tax rate on capital gain income for sales occurring after May 5, 2003.
MORE NEWS. . .
REMINDER: IRS Retirement Plan Deadline
The IRS is reminding small and mid-size businesses using "off-the-shelf" retirement plan documents to update their plans by September 30, 2003. Businesses must formally adopt updates to maintain the tax benefits associated with retirement plans. Read the entire article.
Visit the AccountingWEB News Page for the latest updates!
ACCOUNTINGWEB PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTIONS
Access to this growing library of the latest insights, ideas and tools is available for only $49 a year. See a sampling of this week's Premium Subscription content below.
Free Download With Premium Subscription Purchase: If you are not a Premium subscriber to AccountingWEB, do so for only $49/year. This fee gives you access to all premium content, including featured articles and resources for one full year. Each new subscription includes a FREE Downloadable document, "Thirty Five No-Cost or Low-Cost Marketing Tips. Find out more.
LAST WEEK'S HOT TOPICS
PLEASE NOTE: If you are trying to access archived articles on the AccountingWEB site, you will need to login to the site, if you have not already done so. If you have forgotten your login information, we'll remind you!
Click here for more Hot Topics on AccountingWEB
ACCOUNTINGWEB Q & A FORUM
Visit the AccountingWEB Question and Answer Forum for this week's topics. Post your comments and/or questions and lend a hand today!
MORE ON ACCOUNTINGWEB...
MARKETING EXPERTISE FROM ACCOUNTINGWEB.COM
If your company is launching a new product or service, let us help you with marketing. We have over four years of hands-on experience working with an online community of accounting professionals. We'll help steer you in the right direction for the best return on investment. We'd be happy to customize a campaign to suit your needs. Just let us know your goals and your budget and we can customize a solution that fits your needs! Contact us today for more information.
- Your Personal Membership Information - Take a moment today to ensure that we have accurate, up-to-date information in our records. Just go to your Profile Page and login to update your information today!
- Login and Password Information - If you've forgotten your AccountingWEB.com login details, we'll send you a reminder.
- Premium Subscriber Information - Expert insight on managing an accounting practice, growing your business, professional development and personal improvement is just a click away for AccountingWEB Premium subscribers. Subscribe Today for only $49/year!Premium Subscription Renewal: If you wish to renew your current Premium subscription, do so here!Copyright (C) 2003 AccountingWEB, Inc. (R)
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."