SALT NATION: WHAT ARE YOU STRUGGLING WITH TODAY?
What SALT issues are you struggling with today? Income tax, sales tax, etc.? What state is giving you the most difficulty?
Are you struggling with any of the following issues?
- Is my company required to register to file returns and
pay income taxes?
- Is my company required to register to collect and remit
sales and use taxes?
- Property taxes?
- What credits and incentives is my company eligible to
- My business operates as an affiliated group of multiple
entities. Does the state require us to file separate returns or one
- How are intercompany transactions treated? Do we
have to addback intercompany expense deductions?
- Is my affiliated group of entities unitary?
- Does my affiliated group of entities need a transfer
- Are sales of services sourced differently than sales of
tangible personal property?
- What types of sales are included in the apportionment
- How are sales determined? Gross sales or net sales?
- Our company sales a service and a product. Are we
required to collect sales tax? If so, on the whole charge or part of
- Our company has foreign (non-U.S.) operations.
How does that impact our state returns?
- Our company is a foreign based company
(non-U.S.) with operations in the U.S. If we don't have a permanent
establishment in the U.S., are we still required to file state income tax
- How will changing the ownership and/or organization
structure of our affiliated group of companies impact our state tax filing
- Do we owe sales tax on the purchase of a company's
business assets? Is there a bulk sale notification requirement?
- If our company buys the assets of another company, are
there any real estate transfer taxes due?
- When can our company remove our FIN 48 reserve for
uncertain state tax positions?
- If our company owns an interest in a partnership, does
that ownership interest give our company a taxable presence in the states in
which the partnership operates?
- If our company sells assets or liquidates a division of
our company, is that treated as business or nonbusiness income?
What are you struggling with?
Please comment on this post or send me an e-mail with your issue.