IRS Warns Tax Preparers to Review Their Safeguards for Client Data
By Frank Byrt
- Publication 4557 , Safeguarding Taxpayer Data: A Guide for Your Business, which provides information on federal and state information security laws and regulations as well as industry standards and best practices. It describes the various security provisions and rules that impact tax professionals. The document assists tax professionals in understanding their requirement to protect the privacy and confidentiality of taxpayer data, and it provides guidance to implement the necessary security controls to satisfy these requirements.
- Publication 4600 , Safeguarding Taxpayer Information: Quick Reference Guide for Business, which summarizes Publication 4557, is written for businesses involved in the preparation and filing of tax returns. It provides information on requirements to safeguard taxpayer information, safeguarding techniques, and data security incidents.
The IRS has been aggressive in pursuing identity theft cases. During January, the IRS Criminal Investigation Division expanded its efforts to include 1,460 identity theft investigations since the start of the federal 2012 fiscal year on October 1, 2011.
- IRS Intensifies National Crackdown on Identity Theft 
- Cyberattacks and Hacktivism - Take Cover! 
- Small Businesses Unprepared for Data Breach