"YOU NEED A VISION - YOU NEED A PLAN" - LOU HOLTZ
by AccountingWeb on
I have a new picture to add to my collection. I had the honor last week to hear Lou Holtz speak and to meet him afterwards at the Winning Is Everything CPA management conference in Las Vegas.
Coach Holtz gave a very inspirational and compelling presentation.
Holtz punctuated his speech with lots of wonderful, touching and humorous stories. Here are random comments, thoughts and advice from Holtz (that certainly apply to CPA firm leaders):
- You need a vision; you need a plan.
- Focus on your purpose – - you don’t sell anything; you help people get what they want.
- Use common sense.
- You need each other – a team enables you to do more than you can do alone.
- As the challenges escalate, the more you need teamwork.
- The team MUST improve (add people, add skills, eliminate some people).
- EVERYONE must improve – there can’t be a weak link
- You cannot win if you do not change.
- If you are not getting better, you are getting worse.
- Three rules – - 1) Do right 2)Do everything to the best of your ability 3) Make sure people know you care
- Five things to remember: Attitude, Passion, Focus on purpose, Be a dreamer and Lift people up.
"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - - Lou Holtz