Day 9: Toe-ing the line
The American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, the organization dedicated to providing education, research, and training of orthopaedic surgeons and other health care providers, suggests that it's important to keep our little piggies in good shape. Our toes get a workout, whether we're wearing the latest Jimmy Choos, imitating Natalie Portman's Black Swan moves, or just strolling around the office in sensible shoes.
If you experience toe cramps, this is the exercise for you.
Toe raise, toe point, toe curl
- If necessasry, remove your shoes.
- Stand. Raise your body by putting your weight on your toes (standing on tippy-toe as we used to call it as children).
- Point your toes and try to put as much weight as possible on the tips of your toes (aka Ms. Portman). Hang on to the edge of your desk for balance if necessary.
- Curl your toes, placing your weight on the toe knuckles.
- Hold each position for five seconds. Repeat 10 times.
See the complete library of Workplace Fitness exercises .