The importance of keywords to search engine optimization
By Collette Easton
- Not thinking broadly enough about which keywords could be effective.
- Selecting keywords that people don’t actually search for.
- Being unaware of which search terms are most popular among customers.
- The classic SEO approach is to target specific keyword phrases and optimize pages on your site to appear high in the search rankings for them. This is the sensible first step; ensure you are targeting the best keyword phrases by selecting those based on relevance and popularity.
- Put yourself in the place of potential clients and think how they would search for you, rather than what you want to be found for.
- High rankings for specific keyword phrases only will translate into traffic if they are actually searched on.
- Another dimension is to optimize pages for keyword searches you do not target, or miscellaneous keyword searches that are nevertheless relevant to your site. The rationale is that people are searching on all kinds of phrases that, individually, are searched infrequently, but cumulatively, can add up to a very significant amount of traffic.
- Expanding a site by adding new pages is an effective way to improve ranking and visibility in search engines.