OSCPA grants scholarships at minority accounting program
Seven Ohio high school students recently were awarded $500 scholarships at the Accounting Careers Awareness Program (ACAP-Ohio).
The scholarship recipients were among 43 selected to attend the nationally recognized event held for six days at The Ohio State University's Fisher College of Business. Started in 1996 by a group of accountants, ACAP-Ohio gathers the top minority students from around the state and connects them with successful minority professionals who mentor them on college and career choices while they learn about the business world and compete for college scholarships.
Scholarship winners, chosen for their achievements throughout the week are listed below with their sponsors:
- Gary Bagley (Canton), rising junior, GlenOak High School, Ernst & Young
- Dasia Hood (Mason), rising senior, William Mason High School, Honda of America Mfg.
- Indyasia Johnson (Cincinnati), rising junior, Westside Montessori High School, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Davia Posey (Cincinnati), rising junior, Mount Notre Dame High School, Ingram White Castle Foundation
- Santoria Sawyer (Toledo), senior, Waite High School, Ohio State Book Scholarship
- Jerron Taylor (Sandusky), rising senior, Sandusky High School, MDS CPA Review
- Tiantian Zhang (Dublin), rising junior, Dublin Coffman High School, KPMG
In the past 15 years, more than 500 students have completed the program. As part of the 2010 ACAP-Ohio class, students attended educational workshops, shadowed minority CPAs and business professionals, attended social and networking activities, and participated in a team case study competition.
ACAP-Ohio was made possible by sponsorship from the Accountancy Board of Ohio and corporate sponsors including the Cardinal Health Foundation, Cuini & Panichi, Deloitte & Touche, Ernst & Young, Honda of America Manufacturing Inc., KPMG LLP, McDonald’s, MDS CPA Review, PPC Tax Advisors, Pricewaterhouse Coopers, and White Castle.
You can read more about ACAP-Ohio  and other student initiatives sponsored by The Ohio Society of CPAs.