10 Things On My Mind 5 Days After Busy / Tax Season
by AccountingWeb on
It is April 20 as I write, 5 days after the end of busy / tax season. These are some of the thoughts going through my head right now:
- All of the stuff that was extended by April 15 is still extended. I took part of Friday off, and was out of the office all day Monday in meetings. Did anything get completed today? No. But then I didn't expect anything to get completed today.
- I am still really tired. My wife says it takes me about a month to get back to normal.
- I should be starting to market again. While I'm prolific on Facebook, I've gotten behind on LinkedIn because there was just too much to do. I haven't had lunch with a referral source in a while.
- Who invented liquid soap and why. That was a line in an early John Cusack movie and for some reason it popped into my head.
- I wonder how I am going to deal with being out of commission for a couple of weeks. There is only so much Jerry Springer and Maury Povich I can watch without turning into a blithering idiot. I'm expecting to be able to work a few hours a day the week after surgery, but what if I don't bounce back as quickly as I hope?
- Who are the Detroit Lions going to draft in the #2 spot Thursday night? They traded Ernie Simms yesterday - now there is only one player left that Matt Millen drafted from 2002 - 2006, and he's been injured two of the last three seasons and may never play again. That is just horrible. Those guys should be the heart of the line up. On the other hand, the longest tenured of our four non partner professional staff has been with us now for only two and a half years. While we've got the best staff we've ever had, I guess we didn't draft well back then either.
- I kept putting a whole bunch of things on my task list with a start date of April 19. Of course, as aforementioned, I was out of the office all day so none of them got done yesterday. I suppose I should reread my previous blog posting on getting me organizer and start attacking these.
- We need a much better planning function for our Firm. Ron and I are pretty much in sync on what we want to do and how to continue to build on our strengths. But formalizing this - that always seems to get pushed by the wayside because of client service responsibilities.
- What is the SEC going to do with SOX 404 for smaller reporting companies? The final parts were supposed to be effective for years end after December 15, 2009, but the SEC once again issued a 6 month delay after saying they weren't going to. Is Congress going to get in the way? This is going to have a big impact on my Firm.
- I'm kind of far down the list on the Bloggers Crew homepage. How do I move higher up the list?
What's on your mind?