Creating Your Ideal Career
Do you love your job? Are you maximizing the career path that you're currently traveling on? Are you ready to attract your dream career; one that's aligned with your passions, strengths and talents? Do you have a strategy to easily transition from one career to the next with the least amount of risk or worry? Do you have a passion that you'd like to express in your career?
The fact is, over 80% of all people in the workplace are not truly happy or satisfied with their career. Compound this with the dramatic changes in our economy and in our society, its no wonder that many of us are asking ourselves, “Now what do I do?” while looking for more certainty in an uncertain world. Managers are expected to enhance productivity with fewer people. Increased global competition is demanding that people move faster and produce greater results in less time.
To find your dream job, its critical to take the time to first define what your ideal career looks like instead of trying to fit into someone else's agenda and hope that there's a match. Consider that we spend about one third of our life at work. So, whether you're looking to transition into a new career, maximize the career path you're currently on, or were recently laid off, its time to enjoy your career and design it so that it enhances your life rather than consumes you.
Here’s a list of questions that will assist you in discovering the ideal career for you. Create it first, then attract it.
- How many hours in a typical workday?
- What is your desired salary?
- Who are the people you are working with?
- What type of clients do you want to serve?
- What type of product/service do you want to offer?
- What is your day filled with or what type of activities you are responsible for?
- What type of industry?
- What is the level of autonomy?
- What type of growth opportunities exit?
- What kind of supervisor do you want to work with (if any)? What’s that person’s management style?
- What are your co-workers like (if any)?
- What benefit/incentive package is offered?
- What type of environment/corporate culture do you thrive in (fast paced, stressful, relaxed, quiet, etc.)
- What are you passionate about?
- What type of career would be a reflection of who you are?
- How does your career complement your lifestyle?
- What are the demographics of your clients and co-workers?
- What are your strengths and talents that you would like to orient your career around?
- What do you do great?
- What don't you like to do?
- What needs to be present in order to make a smooth transition and be financially responsible with the least amount of risk or error?
- Who do you have in your circle of influence to support you through this transition? (family, friends, coach, etc.)
Copyright © 2002, Keith Rosen, Coaching Services.