AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide - Issue 51
- Students Weigh in on What Influences Their Career Decisions
- Ten Tips For Effective Online Job Postings
- EDGAR Goes Real-Time With up-to-the-Minute Filings
- Five Steps to Reduce Company Health Insurance Costs
- IRS Extends Tax Breaks From Net Operating Losses
- Guide to Using The IRS' New Taxpayer Advocate Service
- Selling Against Goliath: How to Take On the "Big Guys" & Win
- New GASB Statement Addresses Foundations
- Six Warning Signs for Small to Mid-Sized CPA Firms
- Book Recommendation: The Financial Numbers Game: Detecting Creative Accounting Practices
- From the Archives: Minimizing E-Mail Exposure in Your Firm
Visit the AccountingWEB home page  for the latest news and happenings around the profession.
Don't miss a beat, keep up-to-date with the AccountingWEB Newswires. 
A comprehensive survey concluded this month by AccountingWEB, Inc. shows that accounting students are still very optimistic about the accounting profession, and shows that traditional values, integrity and honesty are paramount in their decisions of which firms to work for. Most significantly, "reputation" and "culture" have overtaken salary and benefits as the main factors influencing their career decisions. Find out more today. 
With good accounting and finance candidates in short supply, there is fierce competition between firms for qualified new hires. Effective online recruitment can be the key to attracting the talent your company needs, and the job posting is the cornerstone of a successful online recruiting program.
Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Chairman Harvey Pitt announced on May 30, 2002 that the Commission's Web site will now provide free, real-time access to the filings of companies registered with the SEC.
Home and Classroom Study
The Lambers teaching method will instill in you the principles and concepts in each topic area that will be crucial to your success. This teaching method is conveyed in our classrooms as well as in our self-study programs. Many of the world's largest business organizations have included Lambers professional development programs in their training schedules. Find out more today. 
With healthcare costs again creeping toward double-digit levels and business profits still lagging, top corporate managers must take a personal and pro-active role in addressing those factors that drive up medical insurance costs.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is extending the time period for claiming tax breaks made available in March 2002 to individuals and businesses with net operating losses in tax years ending in 2001 or 2002.
The IRS' new Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS), which replaced the former IRS-run program known as Program Resolution, has caused some confusion and misunderstanding among practitioners since it was launched two years ago.
Visit the AccountingWEB Resource Library for a complete listing of resources, reports, tips, booklets, research papers and other documents available for purchase. Browse the entire Library just by hitting the search button. 
Are you a salesperson representing a smaller company that competes against the "big guys?" If so, you probably find yourself feeling like the underdog in the age-old tale of David and Goliath.
On May 28, 2002, the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) issued GASB Statement No. 39. A major change introduced by the new standard is that many state and local governments will soon be required to include the financial activities of their fundraising foundations through a "discrete presentation."
Small to mid-sized CPA firms may not have elaborate risk management systems, but Camico manager John Raspante suggests they can still heed some clear warning signs.
10. Book Recommendation: The Financial Numbers Game: Detecting Creative Accounting Practices 
To hide falling profits, some managers ply the flexibility found in accounting principles to alter their financial reports. Others go further and use fraud in their deception. It is vitally important that investors, analysts, and other users of financial statements detect these creative accounting practices as early as possible in order to avoid negative earnings surprises and potential share-price declines. The Financial Numbers Game identifies the steps businesses may take to misstate financial performance and helps its readers to identify those situations where reported results may not be what they seem.
Did you know that a deleted e-mail message can be used in an audit, in courtroom litigation, or as evidence in harassment issues? If you thought you could delete all evidence of unwanted messages, think again.
A comprehensive survey concluded last month by AccountingWEB, Inc. shows that accounting students are still very optimistic about the accounting profession, and shows that traditional values, integrity and honesty are paramount in their decisions of which firms to work for. Most significantly, "reputation" and "culture" have overtaken salary and benefits as the main factors influencing their career decisions. The complete survey report, which includes over twenty significant findings, question-by-question results and student recommendations to potential employers, is available for purchase on the AccountingWEB Web site at a pre-publication price of just $69.00. 
Industry Profiles - $99.00
Construction and Mining 
Finance and Insurance 
Public Services 
Transportation and Storage 
Wholesale and Retail 
Resource Library - $ Vary
Visit the AccountingWEB Resource Library  for a complete listing of resources, reports, tips, booklets, research papers and other documents available for purchase.
- 10 Radical Resolutions To Create Your Best Year Ever! 
- Survey - Seven Major Complaints From Employees 
- The Importance of Job Descriptions and How to Prepare Them 
- Attracting and Retaining Talent in Your Firm - Helpful Tips 
- A Student's Guide to the Accounting Profession! 
American Woman's Society of CPA's National Conference 
June 12-14, 2002 - San Antonio, TX
Profit and Value Growth Advisory Services for Private Companies 
July 17, 2002 - Chicago, IL
Pencor's 8th Annual Niche Building SuperConference 
July 18-19, 2002 - Chicago, IL
1. Staff Accountant, Norfolk, VA 
2. CFO, San Francisco, CA 
3. Tax Manager, New York, NY 
4. Staff Accountant, Atlanta, GA 
5. Tax Manager, Harrisonville, MO 
Here is a sample of the questions that have been posted over the past week. Check out the questions below and see if you can lend a hand or visit the Q&A Forum Page  for the most recent questions/answers posted by our members.
1. CFP vs. PFS. I am a CPA wishing to obtain a certification in personal financial planning. I never plan to broker products. Does anyone know where I can get information  as to the pros and cons of one certification process vs. another?
2. Sole Owner of C Corporation, Chiropractic Md. wants to sell his practice. Annual gross Revenue $ 350,000.00, low basis. Any ideas on how to reduce the Tax, other then ESOP. Any good books on the subject? 
3. Can anyone recommend  a good self-study CPE course that covers the basics and financial statements for non-profit accounting?
AccountingWEB has a variety of promotional opportunities available for you to market your company, services and products to our targeted audience of accounting professionals. Brand awareness and lead generations are the main reasons for an ongoing and targeted marketing campaign. Secure your spot today and get FREE banners for a month. Contact us today for more information. 
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR
We would like to thank Lambers Review Course for making this AccountingWEB Resource Guide possible.
Copyright (C) 2002 AccountingWEB, Inc.
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."